Wrong spark plug

Got questions? We got answers....
Flanker

Wrong spark plug

Post by Flanker »

Hey guys I bought a 98 kdx200 a little ago and decided to put in a new spark plug so I went and looked up which one to get first I went to Kawasakis online manual then to ngk website both said br8es so I was absolutely sure I was buying the right one so I went to oreilly and bought spark plug br8es 3961 but when i tried to put it in it would not fit, compared to the br8hs pug that was in there it was to long . Has any body run into this problem? or can anybody tell me how both the manual and the ngk website were lying to me?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Wrong spark plug

Post by bufftester »

The BR8HS is 1/4" shorter than the BR8ES plug (1/2" vs 3/4"). The BR8ES IS the proper plug. Likely what has happened is that depending on how long the shorter plug was run, the bottom 1/4" of threads have become clogged up with carbon. Best idea would be to pull the head off, run a proper tap through the hole, and reinstall. You could do it on the bike using an old plug as the tap, but you'll end up with all the tailings sitting in your cyclinder, not the best place for them to be.