LH hand rear brake, anybody using one?

Got questions? We got answers....
robkdx

Post by robkdx »

Im thinking about LH hand rear brake. Has anybody got or has made one? If so how?
Yugmoto

Post by Yugmoto »

I haven't done it yet, but I am collecting the parts for my hybrid project and part of it is to do a LHRB steup. My plan is to use a GASGAS hydraulic clutch lever/MC since I have one, they use brake fluid instead of mineral oil, and basically go straight to the rear caliper and eliminate the rear brake pedal. I am planning to use a revloc clutch and keep a clutch lever. I don't think the AJP MC is the best choice, but I have an extra so I'm going to use it. I have heard that some older KTM MCs use brake fluid as well. I don't really like the look of the rekluse LHRB setup, but that is just me, some people seem very happy with it and want to retain the pedal. Not sure how I'll situate everything yet or if I'll get enough pressure and feel out of the rear brake this way, but that's the basic plan. So far. It seems like for some once they get used to it they really like the LHRB while others are dead set against it. I'm going to do it anyway regardless. I'll let you know how it works if you want, may not happen fast though, work really gets in the way of my leisure time.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: LH hand rear brake, anybody using one?

Post by royadams »

I have one on my hybrid. I had a fitting made that replaced the brake fluid reservoir . I still have the use of the foot as well as a lhrb. I used a left rear brake master I got from ebay. It works good but you need to use three fingers to lock the rear wheel. I'm going to find a left clutch master next. It has a smaller piston and will make the pull easer. I've got less than a hundred bucks in it.
robkdx

Post by robkdx »

Good ideas there, nice trick on using the reservoir input . I had been thinking about a thumb lever as going downhill I need the clutch in to stop stalling.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

I have a efm auto clutch . There are a few people that make thumb brake masters for street bikes. I would inagine it would be tricky to work clutch and left brake at the same time.
Marky360

Post by Marky360 »

I've heard of people using mountion bike hydraulic brakes small kind of like the rekulas setup
robkdx

Post by robkdx »

Marky360 wrote:I've heard of people using mountion bike hydraulic brakes small kind of like the rekulas setup
Yes I looked at there system and I know the lever they are using, its a Hayes Stroker MTB one. Im a bicycle mechanic for a job. I think a thumb lever would be easier to use but may grab a Hayes lever and see how it feels.