Question about reed mods

Got questions? We got answers....
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Question about reed mods

Post by Actionman »

Ive got two stock sets of reeds as well as a new set of carbon fiber reeds. With my carbon fiber reeds ive been using the stock reed stoppers. Ive seen in the past that a stock set of reeds would be cut down and placed over the reeds and the stoppers removed; apparently in the case of some certain bikes this simple mod would change the bike into a much better running bike. Anyone ever try this, or have any info? I may try it for the hell of it.
2002 KDX 200
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Question about reed mods

Post by Julien D »

I don't believe you need to use the stock reed stops with aftermarket reeds. You will probably see better top end if you remove them. The mod you are referring to would be a cheap way of making dual stage reeds from the stockers.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Question about reed mods

Post by Actionman »

if not for the hassle of removing the reed cage id have already tried this. In a few days ill run some tests and report back.
2002 KDX 200
Robkx250

Question about reed mods

Post by Robkx250 »

Actionman wrote:if not for the hassle of removing the reed cage id have already tried this. In a few days ill run some tests and report back.
Please do and let me know if removing the reed stops makes any difference
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Don't know about the carbon reeds, but the boyesen power reeds specify that you should not use the factory reed stops.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Question about reed mods

Post by Actionman »

my fiber reeds are moose racing brand. They have no reed plate like boyesens have. It would basically be only the screws holding them on. Since i have 2 sets of metal stoppers, im cutting one set down into plates without the wings that stop the reeds. Ill try this with my fiber reeds, as well as the cut down stockers on top of the fiber reeds. Lordy, this is gonna be a lot of work,lol. Nah, its going to be fun seeing if i can tell a difference(but still a lot of work). The fiber reeds are a lot better, but my original reeds cage was effed up for some reason. The rubber coating that seals the reed tips is chipped and eaten away for some reason. The ebay replacement reed cage is also from an 02 and looks brand new. Could octane boosters and water remover additives cause that? I'm afraid my new cage will suffer the same fate!
Last edited by Actionman on 08:37 pm Oct 24 2013, edited 1 time in total.
2002 KDX 200
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

Typically the rubber is damaged by fraying reed tips.I believe it is a viton rubber, most stuff won't harm that, even ethanol.

Sent via morse code
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

my reed tips were like new though. I wonder if grit might've made it through the old filter? whatever it was, i had a space of about two playing-cards thickness between one of the petals and the cage lip. i can flat guarantee that was the reason my low speed burble wouldn't go away cause the new cage runs great. i have a 42 pilot in and smooth bottom end, whereas a 38 was all i could run.
2002 KDX 200