Jackets & clothing

Got questions? We got answers....
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Jackets & clothing

Post by pumpguy »

It looks like I will need a new enduro jacket. I tried searching the site for any info, evaluations, recommendations etc. but couldn't find any. Is there a special place for this type of question, of just the usual forum? I haven't tried FOR SALE yet, but will now.

Thanks,
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Jackets & clothing

Post by Julien D »

Just general Q/A, I reckon. Haven't seen a lot of threads on riding gear, but I'm sure folks will have some advice. I'll move this to the general section. Good luck!
chkdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by chkdx »

Subscribed. I'm interested in this, too.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Jackets & clothing

Post by SS109 »

What do you mean by "enduro jacket"? What are you looking for? Temp range and weather (rain/snow) you are riding in?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Jackets & clothing

Post by pumpguy »

A jacket to wear while riding enduros and also dual sport rides and state managed trails. Typical weather is 40s to 60s F. I don't mind a little rain or mist, but I don't like to do this type of riding when the temp gets around 70 or above. I used to wear a wax cotton Barbour jacket (think Steve McQueen) and Barbour trousers, but I've out grown them, and of course they have no armor. New ones cost a fortune today, and I would think there's better stuff available anyway. Just curious what others are wearing these days?
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

I bought a jacket similar to the one in the link below on Ebay a few years ago. It has worked great for me but MSR and Moose have some nice ones if you want to spend a bit more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181006674639?va ... 1423.l2649
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Jackets & clothing

Post by pumpguy »

Wow! That looks nice. Thanks.

Anybody else care to post what they wear? What about trousers?
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

I usually just wear my riding pants with some polypropylene long underwear if it is really cold. Then I also have a rain shell I can throw over my pants.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

that is a good looking jacket (but what is with the colour?)

I usually just wear my regular gear (jersey, pants) with an extra longsleeve underneath when its real cold and a ski mask when it is snowing
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Jackets & clothing

Post by pumpguy »

Could someone care to post specifics as to the jacket and pants they wear for off road riding; brand & style, pros & cons etc.? If price were no object, what would be your best choice?

Thanks,
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Could someone care to post specifics as to the jacket and pants they wear for off road riding; brand & style, pros & cons etc.? If price were no object, what would be your best choice?
If money were no object, here's a good deal on my dream jacket:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Genuine-Jac ... 4897.l4276
Of course you also need the pants:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Genuine-Pan ... 50&vxp=mtr

Back to reality, I'm not sure what you're asking but it sounds like we have similar taste in riding weather. I ride only in the fall, winter, and early spring. In the summer I float around in the pool drinking tequila.

I wear a jacket similar to the one I sent you the link to earlier. Mine is labeled Duhan Motor Sports and as I recall I paid around $80 shipped. I was pleasantly surprised when I received it and it has performed perfectly and held up well. It has a removable liner that I only use when it is really cold out. In the morning it is really nice and as it warms up I can open the vents and it really does a nice job of metering your temperature. I've taken it on a few Colorado trips and as I climb in altitude and it gets colder I can close the vents and stay warm. It also does a decent job of keeping me dry and provides some nice protection from brances and roost.

I don't like to wear winter gloves but I run some old Acerbis hand guards on my XR that give nice wind coverage and my hands never get cold.

My pants are just standard Oneal riding pants but I always buy them a little on the big side. That way I can layer in the long underwear and they are a lot more comfortable when I need to wear my shin guards and leg brace. I have a waterproof shell that I use over my pants in extreme cold or when riding in the rain. I think they are actually made for snowboarding but they work great on the rare occasion I need them.

I have a neoprene nose and mouth mask that I carry in my gear bag but I have only had to use it a few times under my dirt helmet. I'm also not above wearing my full face street helmet when I'm dualsport or adventure riding but in the woods it will fog up and drive me crazy. Of course in the woods I'm exerting a lot of energy and the speeds are relatively low so it doesn't take long until you may not even want the jacket. I also remove all the foam from around the vents on my dirt goggles to keep them from fogging.

I wear Alpinestar MX boots with wool or poly socks so your feet will stay warm even if they get wet. It also doesn't hurt to buy your boots slightly large so the socks aaren't compressed and can insulate better.

I also wear a MSR fanny pack that carries my water and whatever other items I may need. I have a camelback but I can't stand having that thing riding on my shoulders. I have packed the fanny pack with my 1.5 litre Nalgene bottle full of water, an extra tube, tire irons, patch kit, CO2, and a tow strap and I don't even feel it. I put on my pants, then kidney belt, then the fanny pack over the kidney belt.

Buying your gear to match the color of your bike is a dangerous endeavor. You will probably end up looking ridiculous. My blue enduro jacket looks fine on my white/orange XR350 and it looks fine on the green KDX. Black and gray are also safe choices. These same rules apply to the rest of your gear as well.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Klim Dakar pants, probably the best pants ever for everything from 20 to 70 degree riding. Over the boot style, highly adjustable, big vents that are adjustable, wear like steel. When it gets above 70 then I go back to my trusty vented MX fox pants, like mesh all over. After wearing them, though, I doubt I'll ever go back to an inside the boot pant.

For jackets I have an old Moose enduro jacket I wear when it gets really cold and wet, but generally I sweat like a pig anyway so a polypro longsleeve thermal and a hoodie are plenty for most of my riding here in the Northwest.

Gloves and socks are whatever I have on hand, I have like 800 pair of poly soccer socks from my playing days, and I seem to aquire gloves at an alarming rate (probably since I wear them for mt. biking as well). Gaerne boots, love them, they are bullet proof, and now that I'm wearing over the boot pants they are always dry inside unless I end up wading across a stream or something. I have an MSR chest protector that I have modified by taking off the back plate and replacing it with a camelback M.U.L.E. (ala the Fly Stingray) and fitting my drink tube thru my helmet via a quick disconnect (blatantly stolen from the Leatt SP-1 product line)

If price were no issue then probably the Klim Adventure Rally jacket and pant combo, seriously look at it...it can almost ride your bike for you :lol: Of course, at $1800 for the set it would have to be given to me by a rich, dead uncle....
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Rockymountain has an AWESOME buy on a ONE IND. jacket right now! Check that out, but don't buy the last one in my size :lol:
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Jackets & clothing

Post by pumpguy »

Thank you all for your replies. You've put a lot of thought and effort into them, and I appreciate that. Hopefully this information will be useful to others as well.