V force / boyesen reeds what do you all think?

Got questions? We got answers....
Robkx250

Post by Robkx250 »

What do you all think to v force reeds or boyesen? Have any of you got any in your bike did if make a big difference? I have a kdx 220 sm and I'm wanting a little more power
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: V force / boyesen reeds what do you all think?

Post by Julien D »

You talking about replacing the whole cage or just upgrading reeds? The Boyesen power reeds are a great improvement and very cheap compared to VForce or Rad Valve.
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

The 220 makes its power down low & falls flat on top... fitting boyesen reeds or v force will only enhance what you already have in the low-mid range.. if you are looking for more top-end (as running on the road ) then best fit different sprockets & larger carb to complement the reeds...you could also move the timing ( advance ) on the stator plate which is adjustable on kdx`s ( its set in the middle mark as std )..this would shift the delivery to higher in the rpm range & shouldn't effect the bottom/mid pull too much but you will gain some extra revs up top.....if you want even more power then a head & port job will need to be done to get the most out of the motor.

speed is just a question of money.....

How fast do you want to go ...
TheJackRabbit
Supporting Member

Post by TheJackRabbit »

I personally prefer the boyesen rad valve to the v force reeds, all the bikes I've ridden with v force didn't seem to have the snap or over rev that the boyesen had, also I firmly believe product is higher quality as I have seem many v force systems where the reeds do not lay flat on the cage even from brand new, all that being said I will admit that the boyesen rad valve take a little more to jet right, but once you do it is well worth the trouble.
http://www.youtube.com/allthatstuff35 <--- some KDX videos here
I'm smarter than I act
Robkx250

Post by Robkx250 »

I'm currently running a 42 rear and 15 front and it tops out at 97 mph so I have the speed side of things sorted :) I just want a little more poke in the lower revs it's not too bad as it is really but Ive always been one for tinkering with engines so I'm fancying a 36 mm carb some porting and power reeds. Maybe even a reed cage if I can get one cheep enough I'm just a bit scared of not getting good Milage out of a tank of fuel when I do all this as I want a cheep to run commuter but then again there's nothing better than a gas gurgling 2 stroke what's back wheel happy :) I've recently purchased a full engine what's got 70 miles on a brand newly plated bore and piston so I'm going to have a go at porting that myself as my friend has done it and his results have paid off
sailorcolin

Post by sailorcolin »

I have carbon boyesen and they really help with the low end. Made a big diffrence
Robkx250

Post by Robkx250 »

sailorcolin wrote:I have carbon boyesen and they really help with the low end. Made a big diffrence
Do you have just the carbon reeds or the cage?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

The V Force has been a more preferred reed cage swap. If you search you will find a few threads that talk about it.
Robkx250

Post by Robkx250 »

Thanks for the info guys I'm going to keep my eyes open for a cheep second hand one :) has any one got one for sale?