Throttle issues result in bike crisis

Got questions? We got answers....
chrisfromlocalgroup

Throttle issues result in bike crisis

Post by chrisfromlocalgroup »

Hi everybody,

I am not a native English speaker but I will do my best trying to explain a problem I am having with my KDX-200 1999 and hopefully somebody can give me a hand. This is the second time this problem happens to me :

When I accelerate hard (3/4 - full throttle) the bike starts to bogg down, like it is flooding or is restricted of fuel. This happens for about an hour and it starts to slowly get better, however when it is almost back to normal the worst things start to happen : the engine gets extremely hot (to the point where my legs get unconfortably hot) and A LOT of smoke out of the exhaust pipe (to the point where I can barely see because I get surrounded by all the smoke) not to mention it smells like something is burning very baddly. The bike never dies but if I turn it off It won't start until next day. The weirdest thing is next day it will start perfectly fine and all the problems would be gone. I recenlty changed oil and coolant if it helps.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Robkx250

Re: Throttle issues result in bike crisis

Post by Robkx250 »

What is the smoke like? Wight? black? It sounds to me like your head gasket is leaking or your crank seals are gone but more likely the head gasket as when the bike gets warm the cooling system becomes under more pressure
JenkinsJames
Location: 3300 W Montague Ave # 203 North Charleston, SC 29418

Post by JenkinsJames »

I think you should once ride your bike with any bike mechanic as they can immediately caught the fault of the bike so do it.
Visit us
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

Sounds like a bad crank seal on the clutch side. It would make the bike run lean (bog) and hot, and smoke like crazy. Watch the oil level in the transmission and see if it is lower after you ride.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250