Front fork triple tree question

Got questions? We got answers....
jerry malbeck

Post by jerry malbeck »

I have read on the forum that a 500 kx forks will bolt right on a kdx I have a 2002 kdx, I have a set of 99 kx forks that i want to put on the kdx . Now rather then doing the steering stem swap ( pressing out the old for the new kx stem and having to have the stem knurled ) would it be possible to just use a kx 500 tree? This would seem like a easy fix , Would it work ? Thanks , Jerry .
Yugmoto

Post by Yugmoto »

Allballs has a a chart that will show you what bearings you need to swap front ends. I checked awhile ago about putting an RM front end on my KX/KDX hybrid project and there are all sorts of conversion option for various bikes. I don't know about the 500 but that chart is where I'd start. Good luck.
KDXRIPPER

Re: Front fork triple tree question

Post by KDXRIPPER »

Hi Jerry, i did the kx front fork conversion using the Kx500 forks. I purchased 2001 kx500 triple trees and then got 1998 500 46mm forks with a kx125 front hub.Just bear in mind the early 1990s 500s had 43mm
forks and triples, so you have to get the later 46mm triples to be compatible with your 99 kx forks. Very easy way to convert the front end as no Knurling or shim is required.
cheers, Peter.
jerry malbeck

Post by jerry malbeck »

Thanks Peter . Great info my man .
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

"99 kx forks"

Which model KX from 1999??

If they aren't KX, then it won't work due to the fork outer tube dimensions, which is where the triple clamps bolt onto the tubes. The outer diameter of the inner tubes is NOT related to where the clamps mount to the outer tubes.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Yugmoto

Post by Yugmoto »

Hey again, just checked the Allballs racing site for my own hybrid project and they do have the bearings you need to use the KX500 tree with the KDX chassis. Should be an easy swap. I don't know if you plan to use the kdx wheel though, that could be an issue. I'm not familiar enough with the KDX yet. I myself am going to put an RM250 Showa fork on a KX125 frame for the hybrid with the bearing conversion kit for the Suzuki tree, but I'll be using the whole front end.
jerry malbeck

Post by jerry malbeck »

Jason ,title says 1999 kawi kx 125 L1 , Measured upper portion of fork and lower portion of fork @ the triple clamp on the kx and upper and lower are diffrent . I still have to convert inches to Milli meters so i know for sure what i got . As soon as i do this ill post it .
Yugmoto Ill be useing the complete front end off the 125 ,forks, axel, brakes ETC . I have been watching EBay and no newer year modek trees are available right now , Just all older years are on the site SOOOO I may just end up switching out the stem after all , trying to be patient LOL. thanks for the help guys . :grin:

Just did some measuring , the upper fork @ T_clamp measures 2.182
Bottom @ clamp measures 3.05
Leg measures 1.69
this looks like upper measures 55.4 MM
Bottom measures 77.49 MM
fork leg measures 42.9 MM
91 - 96 500 is a 43 MM fork ?
Does this sound correct , as if a 500 triple will work ?
thanks , Jerry .
Yugmoto

Post by Yugmoto »

Hey Jerry, I hope this doesn't sound pushy, but I will have a complete 2000 KX125 front end with the wheel and full brake setup for sale here pretty soon. When i get started on my hybrid in earnest I'll be selling off the parts I don't need or will not use. Just thowin' it out there.
jerry malbeck

Post by jerry malbeck »

yugmoto , Heck yeah ill be interested in the front end as i have three of the little green machines LOL. here is my email address , give me a shout and we can talk . jmalbeck@yahoo.com , thanks .
Yugmoto

Post by Yugmoto »

Hey Jerry, I sent you an email about the forks, not sure if you got it though. No hurry, haven't time to take the KX apart. I did get my KDX torn down though.
jerry malbeck

Post by jerry malbeck »

Just found your Email in my spam folder . I sent you my phone number . I live in Washington state . Give me a call when you get a chance . Jerry .
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Jerry, If you're interested in seeing a KX fork mod, I have done my 95, I live in WA, not sure of your region, but I'm sure that we could meet somewhere and talk about what I had to do/had done to make everything work well. I didn't take pictures of it apart, so those are a no-go. I will take pictures when I take the forks in to have them built for me, then I will have everything on file. In the mean time, get a hold of me, we'll talk.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type