cr250 fork springs

Got questions? We got answers....
jschexna

cr250 fork springs

Post by jschexna »

I have a set of stock 99 cr 250 fork springs that have been collecting dust for the last few years. I'm hoping to put them in my 04 kdx 220 and then take the kdx 220's and cut them down and put them in my wifes ttr-125. Does anyone know if this will work and/or are there any tips to avoid f'in up the job. I'm no suspension guru but my stock forks on the kdx are like slinkies, and the stock forks on the ttr suck also. I'm hoping to upgrade both on the cheap.
02 bandit 1200....99 cr 250....02 ttr125l....05 crf50f....04 kdx220stock for now.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the site. I hope Katrina didn't get you too bad.

I think the CR springs will be too large of a diameter for your KDX forks. The springs are roughly the same diameter as the KDX outer tube diameter. Your KDX springs are probably too large a diameter for the TT-R125, also.

What is your riding weight in full gear? Most people need to replace the stock KDX springs for their weight, riding style, terrain, skill level, etc.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
jschexna

Post by jschexna »

Thanks for the welcome, I've been lurking here for a few months but the 2 hurricanes have kept me quite busy and I have only ridden my new kdx once. I must say that I love this bike!!!!!! I'm about 190 with gear, and I ride along at a pretty good pace. I'm so used to my CR's very stiff front end, and now the KDX's seems like mush. I guess it's time for plan B. Buy some fork springs.
02 bandit 1200....99 cr 250....02 ttr125l....05 crf50f....04 kdx220stock for now.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I have the same bike and swapped to XR400 springs. I went with .38s, but I ride in real rocky terrain. you might be better off with .40s or stiffer.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Go to Racetech.com

Check the spring spec on your springs (or any other springs) to see if they will fit.

They will list a series number for the two bikes..and you can check the length spec, too.

While length spec may not be a big deal (like the much longer XR springs working much better in the KDX..imo), the diameter sure is!!

I'd look it up myself...but want to initiate a LEARNING experience... :wink:

Cheers!

...and welcome!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I lied. I can't stand it.

Racetech says:

Honda CR250 springs...
47mm Showa
Series 4349
Spec 42.7x493

KDX220 springs....
43mm (conventional) KYB
Series 3647
Spec 35.8x472

Answer....
Racetech wrote: No.

Consider the source

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If you are familiar with the various spring rates from dealing with the Honda springs, then this may make more sense to you. The stock springs are .35 Kg/mm. At your weight and reported skill level, you may want to buy some .40 rate springs. You can get some Honda OEM brand XR400R springs that will work quite well. Try http://www.servicehonda.com for Honda part number:

51401-KCY-761

You will need two of them. You will have to either cut the stock spacers or get a length of 1" PVC pipe to cut some spring spacers to set the correct amount of preload, as the stock KDX spacers will be too long.
Jason wrote:The springs are roughly the same diameter as the KDX outer tube diameter.
My bad canyncarvr, compared to Race Tech brand springs, I was off by .3 mm. :grin:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

No 'bad' to it.

Your post already answered the specific question. My point was to show a source for figuring it all out next time.

...and for the millions of other readers of this thread.............;)

Consider the source

jschexna

Post by jschexna »

Thanks alot. You guys rock. Anyone need a cr-250...??? I'm getting too old to fight this beast on the trails. Hence the new 220. Check it out

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/3329 ... 0157sc.jpg
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
jschexna wrote:Thanks alot. You guys rock. Anyone need a cr-250...??? I'm getting too old to fight this beast on the trails. Hence the new 220. Check it out

I'd love to have the rolling chassis! :-) Nice looking bike.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You are welcome. This is a good site for information with a relaxed atmosphere.

On the Cr250R picture, there's no way you weigh 190 pounds!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

>|<>QBB<
jschexna wrote:Thanks alot. You guys rock. Anyone need a cr-250...??? I'm getting too old to fight this beast on the trails. Hence the new 220. Check it out

Tell me about the bike. I showed the photo to a guy here at work looking for one and he got real excited.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
jschexna

Post by jschexna »

99 cr-250. v-force reeds, trellebourg front tire, FMF turbinecore II muffler, renthal bars, polished frame, 14 tooth front sprocket, o-ring chain, new twin air filter, 2 sets of plastic ( origional red and white ). factory connection suspension
ect... The bike has it all and runs great. It is just too much bike for my wife and kids to trail ride with me. I'd like 2k for it. One more pic without Junior on it. The bike has low low miles on it, and a clear title

http://img402.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 0163jp.jpg
jschexna

Post by jschexna »

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

My friend likes the bike. Now, how do we get it to California??

If you could check on that and let me know shipping to Sacramento, (most likely point of a shipping pick-up point), you may have the bike sold.

Is that an 18" rear rim on that bike?

Here's a photo of Doug, the guy wanting the 250, and his KX500. Doug likes white. Notice the frame is even powdercoated.

Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

why does he want a 250 when he has a 500? I love those things... :supz:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

He rode my KX250 and hasn't been able to get a good night's sleep since.

He found the 250 more "fun" to ride, a whole lot easier to kickstart, not as much vibration, but mostly how much fun it was in general. Fick it, toss it, wick it.... The bike is light and FLIES through the air with the greatest of ease. We both rode that KX250 HARD and neither one of us could crash it.

He's keeping the KX500, he LOVES that bike. But, like me, he has a grown son and it would be fun to go riding when they are in town. So, now all you guys and gals out there might have yet ANOTHER bike when you come to visit for riding. WaHooo!!!!
Jerry

jschexna

Post by jschexna »

I checked on shipping through forward air. It looks like at least $500.00 for B.R. to Sacramento, unless I can find a more reasonable carrier. Thanks
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I sure wish I knew someone driving from there to here. Anyone wanting to ride out west and can haul that thing, I'm sure Doug would reward handsomely. At least the gas tab would be covered. Ever thought about taking a trip out west to ride? Some guys are making it out Memorial Day week (or two or thee weeks!!) and you are more than welcome too.

How is it I see eBay dealers ship anywhere for $200 or $300? I too can't find shipping cheaper.

Anyway jschexna (I don't know your "real" name and have no idea what jschexna means or how it is even pronounced), PM me your e-mail and phone #. I'll have Doug get in touch with you. And just so you know, neither he or I are jerking your chain on this bike. He's at that fun age of no kids, dual income, got his wife a corvette so he can get any toy he wants. (No, not a hooters girl) If there's any way to make this work, he'll be jumping on it.
Jerry

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: cr250 fork springs

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
jschexna wrote:then take the kdx 220's and cut them down and put them in my wifes ttr-125.
BTW, Even if it did fit, cutting it down may make it too stiff
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS