Cylinder head lid from H Series onto 1991 E-Series

Got questions? We got answers....
Fireflyer

Post by Fireflyer »

Ok so I'm a newbie here and I am just getting back into this game.

I took a good running rough looking 1991 E-Series in trade to sweet'n a deal. Needs Pipe

I then came across a nice rolling 1998 KDX220 H-Series chassis with everything except for an engine. I haved trolled and found the question asked many times without a clear answer.

So, here we go. Can I get the E-Series Motor in there and other then pipe angle I see that the Cylinder lid has frame stay in different spot. Can I take the lid from an H-Series motor and put it on the the E-Series motor? Is there any performance or fitment issues?

H series Lid

E Series Lid

Also, Anybody else ever do this swap?

Thanks.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Cylinder head lid from H Series onto 1991 E-Series

Post by 6 Riders »

1st, your pictures did not work.
I have an E and H in my garage right now, It looks like the bottom ends (cases) are the same, so those motor mounts are probably in the same location on both bikes. As far as mounting the top end, the biggest major difference that I can see is the H has 2 head stays, the E only 1. From looking at them, using the H's rear head stay on the E motor should work. You would need the exhaust from an H to complete it, that I CAN tell you 100%. Best way to figure it out, is to try it. you might want to do the top end on the runner anyways, so prep the H for a motor swap, when it's time to pull the E motor out for inspection and repair (good idea since you got it on trade) you can toss it into the already prepped H real quick to see how it fits.
As far as swapping heads, I have no idea if you can just swap the heads out. RB Designs could probably answer that question.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The motor will fit. The head will not swap over.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

Like Julien said.

You can probably get the E in the H frame, but you'll have to live with only the rear head stay. It's also in a different position side-to-side, so you'll have to rework the brackets that attach to it, too.
David Eckel
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

Oh, and you'll have to put a dent in your pipe to clear the KIPS machinery.
David Eckel
Fireflyer

Post by Fireflyer »

:supz: Thanks for all the quick replies folks!

Sorry about the pics.. though it seems like you all see the same things I see.

I have everything for the H including the exhaust. So I am good there. I got the H almost completely disassembled So, I need to find time to get the frame on the bench and get it ready for the mock up. The good news is the E runs strong in the 1991, the bike is just rough as hell. So, I am comfortable mocking with it. I am going to pull the motor and get everything mocked up. Get the H pipe on the E motor and see what tweaks I need there. If all goes well yank the motor back out and do the top end and fix any leaks or other issues. While that's in play I will clean up chassis which is in good shape.

Anybody see any major issues with only the one rear frame stay? Seeing the E only had one stay I wonder if Kawi did this for considerations with the H style frame geometry?

NOW Just need to negotiate time in the garage with the Mrs. :yawinkle:
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

There should be no issues with just using the one head stay. All of us hybrid builders are doing exactly that, as the KX chassis only had front headstays (generally we cut off the rear one for clearance issues.
Fireflyer

Post by Fireflyer »

bufftester wrote:There should be no issues with just using the one head stay. All of us hybrid builders are doing exactly that, as the KX chassis only had front headstays (generally we cut off the rear one for clearance issues.

Thanks, that's good to know.