clutch basket removal

Got questions? We got answers....
terminatr

clutch basket removal

Post by terminatr »

Do you have to remove the big right side cover to remove the basket?

I opened the little side cover, and can see the fingers are pretty worn. Should I even bother filing it?
Or should are just buy a new one. I see new Wisco baskets for under $200.

The WIsco baskets have great big holes in the fingers. Does this mean they're not as strong and durable as stock baskets?

:please:
2001 KDX220
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: clutch basket removal

Post by bufftester »

No, you can remove the basket by just pulling the clutch cover off. Just file down the stepped parts of the fingers nice and flat, doubtful they are worn too badly for that. The holes in the Wiseco are to help promote oil flow through the clutch plates. Lots of folks have drilled the stock basket in much the same way, though I have never seen any empirical evidence to prove or disprove its effectiveness or its durability
cornishwrecker220

clutch basket removal

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

You can remove just the outer clutch cover as said...just use a clutch holding tool for ease of removal & fitting...if your basket is grooved then yes you can file the ridges out as a quick fix...the only down side is that you clutch will rattle quite loud when the motor is running...also it will only groove again & much quickly too now you have removed some metal from the basket.....if you can afford to then replace the basket & fit new clutch plates & springs while its out...job done.