Hard Starting 200

Got questions? We got answers....
sailorcolin

Hard Starting 200

Post by sailorcolin »

I have a 94 200. Recently it has been hard to start. I can get it going after working at it for like 5 mins when playing with the choke on and off. I checked the reeds and they are good. I also replaced the air screw because that was missing. Still nothing. When it finally does start it runs really rich, most likely from flooding it. A bit more recently after replacing the air screw, it runs sluggish until I get on it and wants to die sometimes when coming to a stop. I have the air screw adjusted to the factory setting. Any suggestions?
sailorcolin

Re: Hard Starting 200

Post by sailorcolin »

the thing is it ran fine, for months. I went on a long ride, parked it for a few hours and it started doing this.
kdx633
Supporting Member

Post by kdx633 »

check compression?
sailorcolin

Post by sailorcolin »

i dont a have a compression tester, but i know i can barely turn it over be hand.
sailorcolin

Hard Starting 200

Post by sailorcolin »

So i did pull off the fly wheel cover and noticed that there was fuel/oil mixture in there :/. Next questions, this is most likely the culprit, how hard is that seal to replace? I looked it up on the parts website and it seems to be http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oempa ... /crankcase 92049, does that sound right?
sailorcolin

Post by sailorcolin »

does this video look like the right way to replace it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pefRYiaHKqA
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Normally if you're going to replace the crank seals you'd split the cases, and replace the bearings as well. Not overly difficult, but it does take your bike down for a bit.
sailorcolin

Post by sailorcolin »

do you have to split the case to replace that seal?
zepplin153

Post by zepplin153 »

I just posted with the same issue. I found my silencer fiberglass packing was caked so bad with spooge that it was plugging it up. check it too before you go splitting cases.
'98 KDX 200 (KLX300 Forks)
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

Hi, see this video before splitting the cases and make sure you don't have the same problem. This is an easy fix compared to changing the crank seals.
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...
zepplin153

Post by zepplin153 »

Postigo wrote:Hi, see this video before splitting the cases and make sure you don't have the same problem. This is an easy fix compared to changing the crank seals.
BAD LINK try again
'98 KDX 200 (KLX300 Forks)
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

Don't know what happen with the link! Search for KDX Leakdown and Stator Test ByGerbilGronk in youtube.
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...
sailorcolin

Post by sailorcolin »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1C4eJ4npn0

has anyone else done this before?
sailorcolin

Hard Starting 200

Post by sailorcolin »

So i did a compression test today and I believe I am good ruling out blow by being that im reading 155psi. Image
robkdx

Hard Starting 200

Post by robkdx »

sailorcolin wrote:I have a 94 200. Recently it has been hard to start. I can get it going after working at it for like 5 mins when playing with the choke on and off. I checked the reeds and they are good. I also replaced the air screw because that was missing. Still nothing. When it finally does start it runs really rich, most likely from flooding it. A bit more recently after replacing the air screw, it runs sluggish until I get on it and wants to die sometimes when coming to a stop. I have the air screw adjusted to the factory setting. Any suggestions?
Sounds a little to me like the old air screw could have been making it run lean, as we know stock they run very rich and can give the symptoms you describe so the new air screw would have richened the mixture back up. I would suggest going through the jetting guide on here as a starting point. And to state the obvious, use a new plug. Mine takes ages to start with an old plug, I chuck a new one in every few rides.
sailorcolin

Hard Starting 200

Post by sailorcolin »

Sounds a little to me like the old air screw could have been making it run lean, as we know stock they run very rich and can give the symptoms you describe so the new air screw would have richened the mixture back up. I would suggest going through the jetting guide on here as a starting point. And to state the obvious, use a new plug. Mine takes ages to start with an old plug, I chuck a new one in every few rides.[/quote]

What about the gas in the flywheel cover? Also it was hard to start after the ride without the airscrew. To be honest i dont believe it even had the air screw in it when I bought it. I have the bike inside and will check the jets to see what size they are being that the bike is new to me as of a couple of months ago.
sailorcolin

Post by sailorcolin »

also why would it just start to be hard to start after a ride? any suggestions?
robkdx

Post by robkdx »

Plug? Have you got a new plug to try?
sailorcolin

Post by sailorcolin »

yes tried several plugs and no diffrence. Took the car apart today and I have a 155 Main and 48 pilot jet. Image
sailorcolin

Hard Starting 200

Post by sailorcolin »

So to took the carb apart and found that there was a little sand in it. I cleaned the thoroughly and am going to put it back in and see if that makes a difference.