Hard Starts

Got questions? We got answers....
zepplin153

Hard Starts

Post by zepplin153 »

Look, I make so much fun of all my friends with their 250s and 450s when I use my hand to kickstart my kdx200... But the past couple of times i have had a hell of a time starting my bike first time out. Interesting thing is when I finally get it to start, a lot of watery-spoogy looking stuff comes out of my silencer. On top of that it runs like its plugged up for about 10-15 seconds. Once its warm it seems fine. First time it happened was about 2 weeks ago and i think it was from washing it. The last time (yesterday) seemed without cause.
'98 KDX 200 (KLX300 Forks)
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Hard Starts

Post by diymirage »

if you can kickstart your bike by hand I would look into a new piston at the very least

the compression you need to properly run this bike will be much more then you can push by hand (unless your Matthew Stafford)
KDXs are notorious for refusing to die so im not surprised its still running but something is not right

if you happen to have access to a compression tester you will find your running WAY low (is my guess)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Hockeygod

Post by Hockeygod »

Make sure you plug the silencer/spark arrestor while washing. I am guessing water got in and is residing in your pipe.

Have you done a deep water crossing or drowned it while riding?

From what you describe, you might want to follow protocol for a drowned bike... Pull the plug, turn bike upside down, etc.

How does your plug look?

Keep us posted,

Dean
zepplin153

Post by zepplin153 »

Compression is not likely to be the case. It is a fairly new piston, ring, and re-machined/plated cylinder. Also, I was kind of kidding. I was just saying that to point out the ease of getting the KDX to start on first kicks.

Turns out my silencer fiberglass was wet and spoogey. Was like a plug. I pulled it out and it was awful. Replaced it, and it has NO problem now. I guess i did get it wet cleaning it. Also I bought the silencer used and never bothered checking the fiberglass in it. I threw it on and it ran. Lesson learned.

It is very hard to do but the kdx200 can be started by hand (even with good compression). Im not the only one to have done it. You try it sometime I bet you can do it too.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Hard Starts

Post by rbates9 »

I have about 145 psi compression and can start my bike by hand when needed.

DIY, you will probably have better luck getting your bike to start by hand if you set your purse down and hike up your skirt a bit before trying it. :wink:
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Hard Starts

Post by diymirage »

rbates9 wrote:I have about 145 psi compression and can start my bike by hand when needed.

DIY, you will probably have better luck getting your bike to start by hand if you set your purse down and hike up your skirt a bit before trying it. :wink:
Hey now, I didnt spend $175.00 on a pair of 25 pound riding boots to get my hands dirty trying to start it
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

:lol:
zepplin153

Post by zepplin153 »

:lol:
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

FWIW, low compression will generally make a 2-stroke hard if not impossible to start with a kicker, period. Likely not your problem. Flat wore out will make top end power, bur will be again very hard starting, no idle, no low end.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
zepplin153

Post by zepplin153 »

I have none of those things you speak of. Turned out to be my fiberglass in the silencer. It was so caked up it was plugging the airflow until it warmed up enough to blast out the current layer of sludge. It didn't help that I accidentally soaked it during a pressure wash a couple weeks ago.