Fly wheel weight questions....

Got questions? We got answers....
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

OK, so the KDX I just bought has a fly wheel weight on it and I have some questions about it;
1) Why? it's a KDX after all, what where they trying to do with this?
2) Anyone else use a FWW on there KDX? Does it help do something?
3) Since I didn't get the "tools", how would I go about removing this thing IF I don't like it?
4) Why? I just can't seem to figure out why one would want a FWW on a KDX...I know that I'm missing something, but still, it's such a smooth bike for a 2T to begin with.

Thanks!

PS, IF I went to the 240 BB Kit that was posted, I might want this on the bike :lol:
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

6 Riders wrote:OK, so the KDX I just bought has a fly wheel weight on it and I have some questions about it;
6 Riders wrote:1) Why? it's a KDX after all, what where they trying to do with this?
I would guess that it was an inexperienced rider and they were trying to tone it down a bit. Or they might have had friends with MX bikes telling them that to ride in the woods they need to have a FWW. Or they just wanted to spend money on something.
6 Riders wrote:2) Anyone else use a FWW on there KDX? Does it help do something?
There has been some people that have talked about getting one and I am sure some other people use them. I have thought it would be neat to try just to see what it would do but can't see spending the $ on one that probably really isn't needed. I assume you know the purpose of a FWW but if not they are meant to slow down the acceleration and deceleration of the engine, so the bike will have less snap when revving up and harder to stall when going slow.
6 Riders wrote:3) Since I didn't get the "tools", how would I go about removing this thing IF I don't like it?
You will need to find a way to keep the engine from turning over by a piston stoper or what ever you do to lock the engine. Then many of them are basically the nut that holds the flywheel on so figure out how to turn it and back it off like you would a nut. I have not had a KDX FWW in my hand to say for sure but it probably has two holes in it that you could stick bolts in and use a prybar between them to loosen it up. (Pictures would help). But if you remove it remember that you will need to get a new nut to hold the flywheel on most likely.
6 Riders wrote:4) Why? I just can't seem to figure out why one would want a FWW on a KDX...I know that I'm missing something, but still, it's such a smooth bike for a 2T to begin with.
Too many reasons for people to do things.

6 Riders wrote:Thanks!

PS, IF I went to the 240 BB Kit that was posted, I might want this on the bike :lol:
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Fly wheel weight questions....

Post by 6 Riders »

rbates, makes total sense. The Original owner had this bike plated and also ran it through Baja, so IF he didn't know what he was getting into (Baja is FAST, not so much technical) then he may have fallen victim to someone else's advice "because it's a 2 stroke"
Thanks for your help, I'm going to be riding this to work, so I'll see how I like the weight on there If I don't like it, I will remove it later.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type