panic attack

Got questions? We got answers....
Kay Dee Eckz

panic attack

Post by Kay Dee Eckz »

Hey guys. My son recently bought a kdx 200 and the bike has been sitting for 2 years.

Here comes the fun part. He's been riding the thing for about 100 miles without cleaning the two year old airfilter! :shock:

I'm kinda scared and I want to know what kind of damage might have been done to the bike. Could you guys offer some insight? Thanks

P.S. the bike still runs haha.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: panic attack

Post by 6 Riders »

Take the air filter out and throw it away! then pull the carb and look for dirt. Might be nothing got by, could be full of dirt but unless you check, you just don't know.
If dirt was getting past the filter, might be time for a top end...IF no dirt got by, he got lucky!

Edit:
I bought a 95 KDX, I don't think the guy EVER cleaned the filter....trash can fodder, but there was NO dirt in the carb or air intake boot, I got lucky there.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Kay Dee Eckz

Post by Kay Dee Eckz »

I'm not home to check the boot but I did buy him a new airfilter. I drained the carb before I left for work and I didn't see any dirt in the fuel. I'll check the boot when I get home. Thanks for the help. Theoretically if dirt got past the filter how messed up would the top-end be?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

well, dirt is a hard substance so it CAN scratch the cylinder wall but that is worst case, gum up the carb for sure. You really should look inside the carb (airbox side or "inlet") just to be sure. I have (well had) 3 spares for my KDX, I now have 1 spare for each KDX, that way I can oil and go. This way I can clean the filter "when I have time". I recently haven't had much luck with the UNI filters (glue coming loose) but they did warranty that one. UNI stated that No-Toil oil may have caused the separation, so I e-mail No-toil about this possibility. No_toil said that it is "possible" but the glue was probably pretty weak already (was a brand new filter) and sent me a new No-Toil premium filter and a Pre-oiled filter...that was great customer service, I think I will be sticking with No-Toil from now on.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Unless he was riding in the sand pits likely you have little to worry about. You won't see dirt in the carb bowl from a bad air filter, that would be a petcock filter and junk in the tank. As stated, throw away the old filter, buy a No-toil, and go ride. If the carb throat looks dirty blast it with some carb cleaner. Make sure he's running premix and not straight gas and get dirty.
Kay Dee Eckz

panic attack

Post by Kay Dee Eckz »

I ordered a twin air and pj1 oil for him.

I was worried because I would be the one doing all the work on it, I don't feel like doing a rebuild on a bike he just bought. Especially when it could have been prevented!