Flashers

Got questions? We got answers....
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Flashers

Post by 6 Riders »

I'm wiring in a dual sport set up (home made harness) and am having a problem with the flashers. I'm running LEDs for tail/brake and turn signals and the regular dual element bulb in 35/35. I can not get the turn signals to flash at all....driving me nuts...what am I doing wrong?
If anyone has done this before...what flasher did you use?
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Flashers

Post by Goofaroo »

The LED lights in the signals aren't pulling enough juice for the flasher to operate. You will need to add resistors. Do a search online and there will be lots of info.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

the problems ive found (before I said screw it) is that your bike is a AC system while most flashers are meant to run on a DC system
so your options are converting the bike to DC (which cuts power output in half) or finding a diode/resistor set up that will allow your LEDs to flash
(not saying Goofy doesn't have a point with the draw but ive found that even flashers intended for LEDs don't work on our bike, simplest way to check that theory is swapping in some incandescent bulbs)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
terminatr

Flashers

Post by terminatr »

The horn also doesn't like A/C electricity.

What I did was built a 12V battery out of 10 AA batteries. I charge the batteries at home.

Batteries are D/C. So hook your horn and your flasher to a 12V battery. Hook other lights to the stator.

Not ideal. But good enough to pass State Inspection.
2001 KDX220
K50X200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by K50X200 »

Rectifier/regulator - http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDetai ... ber=122003
LED flasher - http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDetai ... ber=603008
You'll still need to build the battery - you can get the parts for a Li-ion for less than $20 on e-bay.Although after building it I've heard that NiCad might've been the better choice. I built mine this spring & keep it on a battery tender - so far, so good.
Good Luck!
"00 KDX200 - Baja Designs D/S Kit, '03 KLX300 Forks, KB5 Suspension Mods, Keihn 35 ASQV, Boyesen Rad Valve, Gnarly Woods Pipe