Type of hone?

Got questions? We got answers....
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Type of hone?

Post by dave04kdx »

My 04 200 has over 350 hours on it, its time to inspect, clean the top end. :? I have read so many different Opinions on whether or not to hone the cylinder, type of hone to use etc.. its making me crazy :mrgreen: I would appreciate some real life experience instead of opinions. One reputable engine builder says use a hone to break the glaze on the cylinder, he recommends a ball style hone. Another engine builder recommends a break cylinder type hone with the rectangular stones. He says the rectangular stones wont get stuck in and damage the ports. Quite a few say don't hone the cylinder.

I used scotch brite on my 88 cylinder. This method never really broke the glaze and I didn't get the desired cross hatch to help the rings seat.

Help me out oh wise ones!! :prayer:
At age 4 success is . . not peeing in your pants.
At age 12 success is . . having friends.
At age 16 success is having a drivers license.
At age 35 success is having money.
At age 50 success is . . having money.
At age 70 success is . . . having a drivers license.
At age 75 success is . having friends.
At age 80 success is . not peeing in your pants.
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

well, i was gonna do the same but it is like $30 to have a pro do it and it is like $25 for the kit. So i would just bring it to a place.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Your cylinder is coated, for that reason only go over it lightly with a scotchbrite pad. Do not hone it unless you want to ruin it.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Sorry...you asked for 'real life' and not opinions...this is sort of 1/2&1/2..

I got a used cylinder from FRP. It's apparent that it has been honed because I can see the hone marks the same on the top as on the bottom of the cylinder.

Also, it appears to have been honed by a stone type tool, 'cuz the hone marks are 'straight'.

EG says it's OK to hone a plated cylinder..but he does NOT expressly state that for an electrofused (Kaw's oem method) cylinder.

Again...apparently Mr. Fredette doesn't have a problem with doing it.

Glad to contribute to the craziness!!

....like you need a reason? :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

The machine shop we use has ball honed plated cylinders for us in the past. We haven't had any problems yet. The ball hone is not supposed to be able to take off any of the plating. The "stone hones" typically are not recommended as they can and will take off plating if your not careful. We have not sent any electrofused (Kaw's oem method) cylinders to the machine shop for honing. Not sure if that make you more or less confused? :rolleyes:

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The problem with honing is it chips the plating around the ports... do it if you wish. Also, it may not be as big of a deal on a "fresh" plating either.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Yeah, ball hone only for a plated cyl....That's what I've heard anyway. World of powersports honed my WR's cyl w/ a ball hone to clean up some scratches in my plating. They stated that it was a band-aid in my situation(this was obvious), but that they do lightly ball-hone the plating on all cyl's when they do a top-end. I personally have used scotch-brite on un-damaged plated cyls, and they come out fine. You don't need to see a cross-hatch pattern to get good ring-seal on a plated cyl, but 'breaking the glaze' is a good idea. Steel sleeves are a whole 'nother story...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project