crank and top end issues

Got questions? We got answers....
skillshot73

crank and top end issues

Post by skillshot73 »

Hey I'm new to the kdx! Its been a while since I had a bike in general but I traded for this thinkin it needed rings. And since the power valves were in the exhaust i knew there would be more. First time taking engine out but I think I did good. Now for the questions, it won't kick, although it did a few times when I got it, it stopped after a few tries. And taking it apart (jugs off) I found metal shavings/chunks everywhere and there is one that looks like it stopped the crank. I don't think it ran like that, just kicked. Cylinder got a few grooves but isn't terrible. is it worth the time? Or is the crank screwed? I'm a newbie and don't know how to take the cranks out. And idk what to check for
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: crank and top end issues

Post by Julien D »

Sounds like you need a full rebuild. Splitting the cases to get the crank out isn't to difficult. There's a nice how-to stickied above. At worse case you're looking at a rebuilt crank, re-plated cylinder, new main bearings, and new piston/rings. Pics and such would help diagnose and assist.

Welcome to KDXRIDER!

J.
skillshot73

Post by skillshot73 »

Thanks! I got the chunk out of the crank and it turns freely so I think I'm good there! Couldn't get any good pics but i have a buddy comin to give me his opinion. Any idea on a good place to get power valves?
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

If there are metal shavings everywherw then its teardown time. Run it as is and you likely wont go far, amd have even more damage to undo.

Sent via morse code
skillshot73

Post by skillshot73 »

I was told i could run gasoline through it to clean out, the shavings are from the power valves, everything but the piston looks ok.. still should teardown just o be sure? Crank and such?