1st big ride questions

Got questions? We got answers....
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

1st big ride questions

Post by jjavaman »

Hi guys, got to finally take the bike(97 220) out into the mountains for a ride. We started out at sea level and rode up to 2500+ . This was the 1st time I actually got to use all my gears, these things go like stink! We started off on wide logging roads 5/6 gear stuff and climbed the valley up into loose rocky narrow trails and back. I stalled it on a rocky uphill climb, started it in 2nd gear and away we went! That's the low end torque people talk about? If I kept the thing revving I could slide the back end at will,loft the front wheel over puddles, I'm really impressed with my new bike!
Now some problems I had, the headlight would come on bright, then dim and stay dim? It also liked to stall, and that's a problem. I took the carb apart before we went riding and cleaned it because I took it for a ride and when I parked it,gas was leaking out the over flow tubes. The plunger on the float seat was stuck, fixed that and it ran fine,no gas pukage. I have since checked the float level and it was 19 mm, I've brought it down to 16, could this be what's causing the stalling problem?
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

1st big ride questions

Post by rbates9 »

For the light, I would check the connections first. Could be the contacts inside the switch are getting bad too.

For jetting, the float height could be the problem. Another thing is that a ride from sea level to 2500' is a bit of a jump for a carburetor to work perfect from bottom to the top and back. But it should run ok with a little air screw adjustment along the way. If that is your normal riding area and that will be what you ride most then you may have to jet for a happy medium.