Newbie with Rear suspension issues, 2001 KDX 220R

Got questions? We got answers....
BurnerTurner

Post by BurnerTurner »

Hey All,
Im new to riding just purchased a 2001 Kdx 220r. At first I thought the rear suspension just wasn't set up properly, but after tweaking the lower and upper adjustment screws for the rear shock and having little change Im coming to you guys. How do I setup my rear suspension?
I need some help diagnosing if there is a rear suspension problem: I sit on the bike and the suspension is stiff and there is no rebound or bounce. push on the rear fender/back of the seat and the back end goes down but comes up really really slow, its almost like I need to lift it up.
I bought the bike and a buddy checked it over, he said the things in great shape and doesn't look like its been ridden hard, I figure worn out parts are unlikely but what do you guys think?

Thanks for your time.

Apologies if i previously posted in the wrong area ( introductions )
jeeptech1

Post by jeeptech1 »

Sounds to me like your rear shock linkage bearings are frozen up. Had a similar issue on an old cr250 I use to have. Rear end barely moved up and down. Try removing the rear linkage that bolts the swing arm/shock to each other. My bet is the bolts are seized and bearings are shot.
KDXrider1989

Re: Newbie with Rear suspension issues, 2001 KDX 220R

Post by KDXrider1989 »

it could be possible that its been rebuilt and has a heavier oil viscosity in the shock body

but yeah, frozen bearings would be my first guess
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

Frozen linkage or lost nitrogen charge are my first thoughts.

Sent via morse code
BurnerTurner

Post by BurnerTurner »

Thanks guys I will let ya know what I find. How do I know if I need nitrogen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
BurnerTurner

Post by BurnerTurner »

Just finished pulling the linkage apart, bearings are good. the swing arm moves freely and smooth when not connected to the shock.
Whats my next move?
Change shock oil? any suggestions on viscosity, I live in Alberta Canada and don't want the season to end even when its brisk out.
or
Recharge with nitrogen ?

Thanks
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

Oil change couldn't hurt. I'd have a shop check the nitrogen charge as the next step though. Requires a zero-loss chuck. I use a mointain bike shock pump for at home checks. I actually use air in my shock, but thats a whole other debate.

If nitrogen is low, it went somewhere. Tear down and investigate. Bladders arent too much.

For fluid, search for the PVD wiki about suspension. Great write up and table about fluid specs and their meanings. I use maxima in my stuff. Decent, affordable, and most of all, available. Sure baby sea lion oil might work best, but it's costly and hard to come by.

Sent via morse code
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I'd send the shock to a good shop for a rebuild. It is like getting a new pair of shoes, it will feel so good!
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Back the rebound all the way out, (spring removed). Push down on the shaft, it should then come right back out on its own. If it doesn't, you need a recharge. Most older bikes lose the charge over time even with good seals.

I agree with KarlP, an oil change is in order, but if money is an issue a recharge might do the trick. Also, you didn't say how heavy you are - the stock rear springs are for 185 lb guys... so if you're less than say, 170+ you would also benefit from a lighter spring. Be sure and set the sag too.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.