Odometer Mount Problem with new bars

Got questions? We got answers....
mcpga

Post by mcpga »

Installed new pro taper 1 1/8" bars on my '03 KDX 200 to replace the stock bars that were bent. My problem is: the bolt heads on the bar mount adapters are recessed allen head bolts and I can't figure out where or how to remount the odometer. Has anyone else run into this dilemma before and come up with a fix?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Odometer Mount Problem with new bars

Post by 6 Riders »

My fix was to toss the Odometer. The only other thing that I could think of would be to use a "stud and nut" set up on the odometer side of the mount.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
mcpga

Post by mcpga »

I had the same idea, but the nut would be in a recessed hole with no way to tighten it... Guess I'll just take it off! Thanks
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Go to a hardware store and find a small c bracket ,like you use to hold plumbing pipe to a wall, that fits over the bar snugly, drill it to match the odometer bracket and use a bit of old inner tube between the clamp and the bar and bolt the clamp to the center portion of the bar between the bar clamps.
mcpga

Post by mcpga »

I was able to figured out an easy, cheap alternative to relocating the odometer on my '03 200, there are 3 threaded holes on the front side of the upper triple clamp. The only hole being used is the middle hole that holds a cable guide. I moved the cable guide over to the outside hole on the clutch side which left 2 threaded holes side by side, 1 1/8" apart.

I cut the leg of the OEM bracket that mounted to the old bar clamp off which leaves you with and L shaped bracket. Next I drilled 2 holes 1 1/8" apart as low on the bracket as I could (going lower sets the odometer up higher which you will want to do because the new location is going to be slightly lower than the original). Using 2 new bolts and washers the same size as the bolt that holds the cable guide, simply bolt the bracket with "L" on top and facing out onto the front of the triple clamp.

Now, to mount the odometer you will have to flip it over and mount it to the top of the bracket. Remove the orginal rubber spacer and reinstall it onto the top of the bracket. Since the bracket itself is now turned upside down the egdes of the bracket are now turned up, I guess you could grind them down to keep the odometer from resting and rattling on the bracket but that will weaken the bracket. Instead, I made a 1/8" thick rubber spacer out of a 1/8" shim block used for glass installations and fit it down over the 2 studs on the back of the odometer. This leaves you just enough room to reinstall the washers and the nuts back onto the odometer studs and keeps the odometer from resting on the bracket. Lastly, I filed down to cut edge of the bracket, ground off the little bolt flange in the middle of the bracket and gave it a fresh coat of paint. It looks great, its easy to do and makes for a solid mount. Except, for waiting for the paint to dry the whole process took about 15 minute. Easy cheap fix! I will post some pictures once I figure out how to do it on this site...