One final 02 200 jetting question lol....,

Got questions? We got answers....
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I seem to have my 02 200 jetted pretty close to perfect. If anything could be changed, it might need a step leaner needle, which leads to my question: my current setup is 38 pilot, 155main, airbox lid and snorkel installed, airscrew 1 1/2 out, and jet needle in top clip. I did a lot of highway riding today running errands, and it seemed to be fine with no bad spots. I decided to lower my clip one notch to see if it ran any better, and it made it a blubbering mess. How is one clip position that profound of a change? Is my main too rich causing me to have to use the top clip? My bike also has no noticeable "hit" when coming on the powerband; it's a linear power. The previous owner rode it and asked how I smoothed it out. Is there a clue in there that I have it jetted right or wrong? It runs awesome, and the plug is mocha tan colored( I've been running a b9es instead of b8). It just has me wondering how that small of a change can effect it this much. I fear starving the bike of fuel with the top clip, if anything, but to my ear I hear no pinging even though I've been using the 87 octane pump gas. Btw: when I peruse others jetting on various sites, I see folks at the same elevation with stock bikes like mine, except they are using radically different jetting like a 45 pilot, 158 main, or a 145 main with a 45 pilot, etc. are there just variations in bikes that account for this? Mine will NOT run crisply without a 38 pilot! A 155 may be rich on mine, and a 152 felt fine, but I'm veering rich on top since I do some highway riding. Ps: what is a R1175k needle(kawasaki oem number) if I use keihin part numbers? I've tried to work it out to order it from jetsrus but I'm lost!
2002 KDX 200
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: One final 02 200 jetting question lol....,

Post by dude541 »

I would check the kips system, especially the sub valves, as the older manual that is about tells you to install the sub valves the wrong way around!
I had this issue (although the bike still ran well) but it was jetted much richer with them installed incorrectly!
swapped them around, the bike was even quicker on the powervalve, but had to re-jet leaner.
best regards
john
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

My kips works fine. When I got the bike, it was stock jetted without any airbox lid. The pilot jet was clogged with crap, and the po had been push-starting it because it wouldn't kick with the clogged jets. I've noticed a smoother power as well, but the valves definitely work.
2002 KDX 200
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

have you had it apart to confirm it works and nothing is broken/ fitted incorrectly? only you mentioned smooth power with the kips, if it is working correctly you would definitely notice the power difference, with the front wheel being in the air in the first couple of gears!
best regards
john
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Yep, the kips is installed and working correctly. That was one of the first things I checked when I bought the bike and started trying to jet it right. It only lost the "hit" when I started rejetting. I forgot that the previous owner never used the airbox lid or snorkel, and had original jetting in it. It was a burbling mess when I got it, but it did have a little more pronounced hit when the valves snapped open. I rode it today for a few hours and it's smooth as silk. I'm more curious which needle would cross reference to the kawasaki 1175 than anything.
2002 KDX 200
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Standard kdx 200 needle should be R1174K not R1175K although this needle is a factory option?..kdx 220 needle is R1173L ..sounds like someone has already installed a leaner needle in your 200..if it still needs to go leaner then perhaps run a tad more oil in with your pre-mix ..you may have to go up on the pilot jet.....or before you try this, keep the needle 2nd or 3rd clip position & try ruing the bike without the snorkel...even drill a few more holes in the lid to balance out the fueling?
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I'm sorry, I NEED an 1175 needle. I've tried deciphering the keihin numbers on jetsrus, and I think that a AEP, AJP, or AEQ might work. I have a slight rich spot at about 1/8 throttle then it cleans up nicely from there on up. I need a leaner needle from idle to 1/8 then I can go a tad richer in the 1/8 to wide open range and compensate with clip position and main jet size. If I could find the needle that cross-referenced to the 1175 then I could buy it as well. Kawasaki wants $23 for one needle, but I could buy 3 at jets r us for that price and try different ones out. Anyone know which needle is equivalent to a 1175 using keihin part numbers? Btw: I mixed at 24:1 today and it cleaned up that rich spot at 1/8 nicely it seems. I'd much rather mix 32:1, so I'd like to get my jets in the zone to use that ratio. It runs smooth from idle to top speed as it sits though!
2002 KDX 200
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Your needle isn't going to help much from idle to 1/8, that's all idle screw/pilot. From 1/8 to 1/4 you could lean it by using a slightly larger diameter on the straight portion of the needle, or go to a lager slide cutaway value. The other item that points to a bad baseline is that you can run a leaner premix (24:1) and it runs better. I'm with some of the others on here, you should notice the transition when the KIPS actuates. I have ridden a lot of different KDX's, in various levels of mod, and the defining characteristic in all of them was when the KIPS opened. Jetting is always the final step of tuning after you have made sure everything else is working correctly. With all that said, however, in the end whatever you mix and jet to, if it works stick with it. One thing that is always difficult to ascertain with a used bike, especially one which the PO maintained, is what all was done to the bike. If they tore apart the carb and cleaned it using wire (which a lot of people do not realizing the ease with which you can damage the brass orifices) they could have changed jet diameters, etc. doesn't take much to throw off the carefully calibrated world of a carb.
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

If you are running that rich on oil & that lean on fuel, & you STILL need to go leaner & use a different needle then to me something cant be right on your bike...have you checked your reeds for wear/damage?...what cutaway slide are you running? ..you will always have a slight burble on a 2 stroke somewhere in the rpm range....if you`re happy with the way the bike is running at the moment given the jetting specs you`re useing then I would stick with it.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Buffester, you're right as to the range I need to lean a little. 1/8 to 1/4 is a tiny tiny bit burble. As for reeds, I'm beginning to think this thing has a different than stock set since I'm going lean on my jets. It's actually running fine, so I'm leaving it slime for now but ill order a few needles to test.
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Well, I rode for about 6 more hours today and jetting is perfect. I made a concerted effort to adjust the airscrew and ratio and I found the perfect setting for the screw was about 1 3/4 out and the ratio at 28:1 roughly. About the same as the ratio I had yesterday but more fuel in the mix. Bike is strong with no bad spits in the entire throttle range. I'm good, so I'm leaving it alone lol. I got 25 mpg yesterday by practicing throttle control as well, so my usage problem is also fixed, I think.
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

6 hours total I mean, 1 1/2 today as well to check if my setting were good or not. All seems well still. I think I can sit back and just enjoy riding now instead of trying to fix what the previous owners should've fixed.
2002 KDX 200
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

I agree with your first thought: a rich main requiring the needle to be in the top clip. Sounds fat where the powerband should come on. Spark plug color does not tell the whole story. Tall road gearing can also reduce the perceived hit.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I've got a 155 main. I ran a 152 for a day or two but I do a lot of highway riding so I put the bigger one in. So a smaller main lets me lower the clip? I should've asked that question at first lol. Makes sense now. I'll go down on the main and lower the clip and see where I stand. I put 27 miles on it today in the woods and on the highway between trails, and I can tell now that the main could use lowering maybe a step. It's pretty crisp and whatnot but it's still barely perceptibly rich above the pilot circuit. As the day got warmer it became noticeable.
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

My kdx Image someday she'll have painted frame, powdercoated swingarm, new stickers and plastic, and BLUE seat and fork boots. kawasakis should be green and blue, not black! lol.
2002 KDX 200