Jetting

Got questions? We got answers....
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Jetting

Post by jjavaman »

Hi kids, newish guy here. Pulled my carb off to clean it because it was puking gas out of the over flow tubes and what do I find but a 135 main jet! I'm reading the manual and it calls for a 140 stock and my bike has a pro circuit pipe so I'm saying to myself is this thing going to melt? I was reading the jetting guide and the pilot (42) is the right size but it calls for a 142-148 main.
I'm planning on taking this thing up the mountains on Thursday, and I'm at sea level, is it possible I'm gonna do some damage going to high elevation? I don't know if I'll be able to get jets by then and this could possibly be the last ride up there this year.
The plunger in the float seat was stuck,I believe that should fix the over flow problems.
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Jetting

Post by Actionman »

What model you got? Most of the time a pipe take a smaller main if I'm not mistaken. Someone probably jetted for the new pipe is guess. One size smaller won't kill it anyway, I'd think.
2002 KDX 200
cornishwrecker220

Jetting

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

A 135 main in the 220 shouldn't hurt too much depending on what you are using the bike for, gentle trail riding should be ok...142 is the norm in those carbs & the standard jetting is on the rich side anyway ( I would recommend a 138/140 main as a starting point depending on bike mods )...how does the bike run on full throttle & what mix you running? 40.1 is about right ...the main works the full throttle range so if your riding up in them thar hills & not using full throttle too much you`ll probably be ok, if the bike seems to run a tad lean then perhaps raise the needle clip to the mid position or even run a cooler spark plug for piece of mind...swap the 135 for a 140 or 142 when you next can & see how she runs.. :grin:
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

It's a 97 220, with a PC pipe otherwise it's stock. The plug was black but I'm assuming that's because of the overflow problem.
I have a old a/c Yamaha rd350 that I put DG pipes and a big K&N air filter on it and jumped the mains up to 145 from I believe the stock jetting was 120, that's why I'm concerned about the small main jet.
This is my 1st dirt bike in 25+ years and I'm pumped to be back on the dirt!!
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Jetting

Post by Slick_Nick »

That jet is fine at 40:1. I run an even smaller main IIRC.
'00 KDX 220R
Malarkey01

Post by Malarkey01 »

error
Last edited by Malarkey01 on 11:11 am Jun 13 2014, edited 1 time in total.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Malarkey01 wrote:Is there any point in getting a jetting kit guys? I have a 96 200 and ride at both sea level and 3000ft. This is what I'm looking at.

http://www.jdjetting.com/xcart/product. ... t=1&page=1

Or is there no point and I should just grab a couple $3 jets and try that...

No experience with any of this...however this thread was helpful! Thanks!
The only thing different from what you can buy elsewhere is the needles. The pilot and main jets are factory jets in a few different sizes. I would start with a few different sizes and see what you can do with your stock needle for now and when you get a better feel for it the JD kit might be worth it to you. It will all depend on what your looking to get out of your bike. Weekend worrier or race bike?
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

So what all comes with that kit? Does it basically narrow down your jet size choices making it easier to jet properly?
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Jetting

Post by Slick_Nick »

It is cheaper and easier to grab some jets from your local shop as opposed to the JD kit. If the stock needle isn't working for you, try a CEK or DEK, and check the jetting guide to determine what jets you'll need and buy a size or two on either side of that, then try 'em out!
'00 KDX 220R
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

i bought 5 up and 5 down from the stock sizes for the pilot and main and have no idea what is in there now, but I know it is on the rich side. I planed to go thru the guide and do it correctly and learn the right way to do it... but I just never have time to and feel a little overwhelmed to be honest lol Dont wanna screw it up. Don't know how big of a change going up or down one size will do, not sure on how the bike SHOULD feel and is SUPPOSE to run. Is it lagging in the bottom end sometimes when it shouldnt? I can't really tell if it is sometimes, or if im starting to come into the powerband.

This is my first 2-stroke and it seems like it runs pretty good? But its puking black spooge out the pipe and was smoking a bit (not as bad now, adjusted my idle out 2.5 turns, was at 5.5 turns out; and I switched from running 32:1 to running 40:1 with the same premix oil). Before I did that, the outlet of the pipe and the side of the back fender would be black with spooge. Now there is just a little coming out of pipe outlet. Is that normal? Is it running rich? are the jets OK that are in it? I just dont know lol Wish I knew a 2-stroke expert that could over and mess around with it and teach me one day!
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Stick with your oil ratio of 40:1 and do not change it. Your bike is rich, you will need to go DOWN sizes, not up. It is all trial and error really. Go down 3 sizes. Is it better or worse? If worse, go up one size, etc. if better, go down more and see, etc.
'00 KDX 220R
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I guess you're right. Just change one at a time and see what happens. Do you guys take tools out with you and change em on the trail? I haven't had the carb off yet, I didnt know if you could do it while its on the bike or if you gotta pull it out first before opening
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Some spooge is normal 2T life. As for doing it on the trail, it really comes down to how comfortable you are wrenching your bike. I have done it on a ride...find a loop, back to the truck and make a change, then run the same loop again, repeat. Make your life easier, replace the stock carb float screws with allen head ones first, get a work mat to work over (makes finding those dropped bits easier). As for getting it off, pop off the fuel line, loosen the air boot clamps and pull it out, then unscrew the slide cap and pull it out. Keep in mind, like Nick said above, it's trial and error, so don't go out thinking you'll be done in an hour or two. Take a couple spare plugs as well.
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

Tyl3r, I am not too far away from you, and I am currently running a 38 pilot and 140 main, with the DEL needle (a richer, smoother needle than stock), clip in the # 2 slot. It's still a little rich. I'm still learning, but it revs quicker and farther on top as I decrease pilot sizes. You will also see a big reduction in carbon buildup on the plug as it gets leaner.

You could change the main on the trail, but the carb bowl has to come off for the pilot.

I am finding there is a lot performance payoff for the effort. It already runs so much better, and I don't have to "clean it out" in slow sections. Adjust pilot jet/airscrew first, because it affects the whole throttle range.

If you are too lean, it will "pop" or cut out like a faulty stator, as opposed to a "bog" when it is rich. My son's kx65 is right on the line of being too lean, so I know what the "popping" sounds like.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
Malarkey01

Post by Malarkey01 »

no
Last edited by Malarkey01 on 11:12 am Jun 13 2014, edited 1 time in total.
cornishwrecker220

Jetting

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

I spent many hours trying out the CEL/DEL/CEK/DEK in my 220 & to be honest it wasn't as good as I had hoped for...the OE kawasaki R1173L worked the best for me...the aftermarket needles work better in the 200..the 220 was designed for low to mid throttle response or as a `woods` bike as its better known so no need for a needle that works best the hi rpm range like that of the 200...put a 35mm carb off a 200 on your 220 along with the 220s needle & jet from there, you will see a good spread of power especially in the mid range..it wont do a lot for the hi rpm range but then that wasn't the 220s strong point to begin with.
deltap
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by deltap »

:pop: