Needle Bearings fell out

Got questions? We got answers....
sasrocks
Supporting Member

Needle Bearings fell out

Post by sasrocks »

While service the unitrack linkage, some of the needle bearings started falling out. I tried to get them back in there but was unsuccessful...

is there a trick or am I SOL? what is it with using free uncaged needle bearing anyway??? :cry:
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

I've had this happen many a time. Use a little grease and all of them except for the last one will slip right in. The last one usually pops in with a little firm pressure. Set the link on a hard surface and use your Thumb to put pressure on the last one. It'll go...it might be stubborn, but it'll go.

Good luck! :mrgreen:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: What is it with...

Those bearings are NOT OEM bearings. They are indeed caged rollers ('H' model anyway). Aftermarket kits, PivotWorks for example, use uncaged rollers. The advantage to them? The needles are longer due to not having the retainer pin machined into the overall length. The bearings are easier (ha!) to clean because you can take them apart.

As long as you anticipate the rollers coming out, you're usually OK. But...being surprised if/when they do...that's a headache.

As QC says...they will all go back in quite easily. Make sure the shell and the rollers are clean, use the suggested grease method and as long as you are not missing any rollers the bearing fits together nicely.

Not a bad idea to count the number of rollers before you take them out. Count'em twice even (get the correct count)! That way..when you end up missing a roller, but due to the bit-o-slop you have between all the others it looks good...you KNOW there's a roller what went missing SOMEplace!

..find it! :wink:

One of those magnetic parts trays works well in this case. Much less chance of the lil buggers running off for a game of hide-n-seek!

Don'tcha hate that?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
sasrocks
Supporting Member

Post by sasrocks »

once again thanks much fellas!!!
sasrocks
Supporting Member

Post by sasrocks »

36 needles :)