can a 13/49 combo be used with the stock chain

Got questions? We got answers....
the trail rider

can a 13/49 combo be used with the stock chain

Post by the trail rider »

dont want to get new chain . I want to keep the cs sprocket the same not go with a 12 because of rumored 2nd and 3rd gear gap problems. so will a 13/49 combo work
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's not the 12T causes the gap... it's what you combine it with... like a 48 or larger sprocket.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
the trail rider

well does any body know if you can use the 13/49 combination on the 108 link chain. is 13/49 a better combo than 12/47? thanks :grin:
get a lift, fat chicks can't jump!

when in doubt gas it!
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

The 200's are different than the 220's in how they react to gearing changes. If I recall correctly, Vince, was running a 12/48 and didn't like the combo on his 200. I ran the 12/47 combo with the stock sized tire (100/100-18) on my 220, and didn't like the combo. Also, riding style, rider ability, and type of terrain will all affect how the bike "reacts" to gearing changes.

Front sprockets are cheap (~$10-$15). Slap a 12T up front and see if you like it. Whether you like it or not, this will give you a good indication of where you want to be with your gearing. Plus by changing to a 12 tooth, you don't have to worry about chain length. The stock 108 link will fit fine. 13/50 requires a longer chain (110)...Since I've never run 13/49, I don't know for sure if this combo requires a longer chain.

As info, every tooth up or down on the front sprocket equals approximately 3 teeth on the rear.

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

hi, guys i have a 2001 kdx220. I was wondering if 13/49 are the stock sproket sizes. I have theses on my bike but im not sure what they are good for.
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
kdx220freak wrote:I was wondering if 13/49 are the stock sproket sizes. I have theses on my bike but im not sure what they are good for.
It's a lot easier to answer a question when said question is punctuated by a ?.

However, to answer your first question...Do you have a service manual?
Ok, I guess that's not really fair to answer a question with a question. Stock gearing is 13/47.

I cannot answer your second question, as I do not understand what your question is actually asking. I would have to say that the answer to your question lies within you. You need to ride your bike and decide what type of terrain you like riding. Then you will have an idea of what works well and what doesn't work well with your riding style and that terrain. Once you have an idea of specific things that are not working well for you...then you can ask specific question related to fixing those things.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

wow that was like a sermon :grin: preach it brother!!!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Putting a new sprocket on a worn chain (re: don't want to get a new chain) has the good chance of wasting you $$ as the new sprocket will get wasted right quick with a worn chain.

A 50T rear takes a different bottom chain guide.

IF you're currently running your adjuster snails maxed (or close to it due to a worn chain), a 12T CSS will leave you with too much slack for correct adjustment.

Punctuation works in things other than sermons....IOW, what QC said! :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
the trail rider

no I am not at max I am at 5 or 6 I think I just want to gear it up a little bit. the bike is a 2002 I have put 200 miles on it and before I got it it was ridden 19 miles thats it. so I dont think the chain is worn yet. but I do not want to get a new chain right now. but later I will.
get a lift, fat chicks can't jump!

when in doubt gas it!
parker72001

Post by parker72001 »

i'm riding my '04 220 with the 12/47 gearing and i personally like it, i really only ride trails, it seems to be good on that but on roads it just doesn't have the speed, i'm going to get the rev pipe, that should help
Parker Woods, 20 years old,
'04 KDX 220R