83 KDX200 Clutch

Got questions? We got answers....
crowbar

83 KDX200 Clutch

Post by crowbar »

Just picked up an '83 200 that's been sitting for 21 years. Clutch plates were very stuck together from sitting, so I had to take apart the clutch basket and manually separate them. I'm putting everything back together now and am not sure how much to tighten the pressure plate.(How much should the springs be compressed? Or how far into the clutch basket should the plate be bolted in? Should the bolts be set to a certain torque? Should the plate be adjusted so that when the clutch is let out there is no pressure on it from the throwout bearing?)

As an example, should the pressure plate be sticking out from the clutch basket a similar amount to the plate in this link? I would imagine this would put a lot of pressure on the throwout bearing and cause premature wear?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/84-KAWASAKI-KDX ... 9f&vxp=mtr

Or should the plate be inset more like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KDX200-KAWASAKI ... 48&vxp=mtr

Have plenty of experience working on cars but first time wrenching on a bike. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Adamnb1

83 KDX200 Clutch

Post by Adamnb1 »

yes, it should be more 'inset', as in your second link. The first link, they likely don't have the spring bolts in all the way.
There should be some clutch freeplay.. there shouldn't be a large amount of pressure on the push rod from the release arm /actuator.

The plate you are referring to is called the clutch holder or clutch spring holder (not the pressure plate). The pressure plate (actually called clutch wheel) is on the other side of the plate set (closest to the engine). It's the first thing, other than the washer, that drops into the basket/housing. It has the 6 bolt holes shafts that stick up through the clutch hub, and the springs go over them. The springs exert force on the clutch spring holder, which is now bolted to the clutch wheel, and so it forces the clutch wheel out (away from the engine), thereby squeezing the plate set together.

You turn the spring bolts all the way in until they are lightly seated. They you use a torque wrench. They are not on there with much torque at all.. something like 78 inch pounds.. but you best check the manual.
crowbar

Re: 83 KDX200 Clutch

Post by crowbar »

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I have an older manual from when the bike was new and it's not as complete as I'd like. Got the bike back together with your help and took a ride for the first time this afternoon.