excess smoke!

Got questions? We got answers....
Braap0!0
Supporting Member

excess smoke!

Post by Braap0!0 »

Hey guys, I know this is a life long topic but I'm lost.

I recently bought a 2001 KDX 220, great condition, my first and where has it been all my life! The previous owner said he did a top and bottom rebuild because it was his first KDX so he thought it needed rebuilt, not knowing it had less hit than his race bikes.

I got the bike and it starts up on first kick, no excessive smoke, idles fine, but had a slight hesitation on acceleration along with low bog. Before I started changing the jets, I changed the mix to 50:1 synthetic, took it for a spin and now it runs great from bottom to top.

What I can't figure out is why is it running a lot better, but now has more lagging white smoke than it did before? I took it out on a 4 hour ride and the guys I ride with were laughing, saying I wouldn't lose any one 'Hansel and Gretel' , it isn't a bellowing cloud but it's definitely more than I would like and potentially robbing some of the capability the bike has. I plan on sending the head and carb to RB this winter. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

excess smoke!

Post by rbates9 »

You will need to repack the silencer (or drain it if it is still stock), check / clean the air filter and check the jetting. Also make sure that the smoke isn't from coolant.
Braap0!0
Supporting Member

Re: excess smoke!

Post by Braap0!0 »

Sorry I should have mentioned all that I did before changing the mix. Repacked silencer with the pink stuff, installed new air filter, did airbox mod,, removed snorkel and also cut small square in top of lid.
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

What mods and jetting? Rich jetting will smoke.

Is it using any transmission oil? A bad right side crank seal will draw transmission oil into the crankcase and burn it, causing excessive smoke and plug fouling, regardless of how lean you jet or how little premix you use.

Sent via morse code
Braap0!0
Supporting Member

Post by Braap0!0 »

adam728 wrote:What mods and jetting? Rich jetting will smoke.

Is it using any transmission oil? A bad right side crank seal will draw transmission oil into the crankcase and burn it, causing excessive smoke and plug fouling, regardless of how lean you jet or how little premix you use.

Sent via morse code

Engine is stock, PC pipe and silencer. That's the thing, it has 15 hours on a rebuild so I'm hoping it's not a seal already. I've had it out once and a couple test runs, I've changed the oil twice so far and haven't noticed a lack of tranny oil, Rotella 15 40. I would just start going through jets if it had other signs,,bog, excess spooge, black or white plug etc. I haven't had a bike run this strong with an incorrect jet(s) so it has me stumped. I may just go back to 32:1 for the end of season rides and see how it does after it comes back from RB this winter, in which after reading everything on how it runs after the mods, I'm pretty jacked.
cornishwrecker220

excess smoke!

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

White smoke is usually a sign of water in with the combustion...check your rad & see if its down on coolant...maybe a leaky head gasket..cracked head or cylinder jacket or even something simple like water in with the fuel ..take the spark plug out & inspect.
Braap0!0
Supporting Member

excess smoke!

Post by Braap0!0 »

cornishwrecker220 wrote:White smoke is usually a sign of water in with the combustion...check your rad & see if its down on coolant...maybe a leaky head gasket..cracked head or cylinder jacket or even something simple like water in with the fuel ..take the spark plug out & inspect.

The rads are full, I was thinking head gasket from the start. The new one being defective or improperly installed, not common but possible I suppose. Thanks guys.
cornishwrecker220

excess smoke!

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

best way to check would be to get the bike up to working temp...then with a towel in hand carefully open up the rad cap & listen...if its got pressure then the head gasket is fine....if it don't then theres your problem. :grin:
Braap0!0
Supporting Member

excess smoke!

Post by Braap0!0 »

cornishwrecker220 wrote:best way to check would be to get the bike up to working temp...then with a towel in hand carefully open up the rad cap & listen...if its got pressure then the head gasket is fine....if it don't then theres your problem. :grin:

I have to say that's one action I haven't tried yet. I'll post my results. Thanks everyone.
Robkx250

Post by Robkx250 »

My 2003 220 which I have just converted to a sm is doing exactly the same as yours. Bogging out in the lower revs and hesitating. I know it's not the carb set up or reeds or anything on the top end as I've taken all that off my other kdx and put it on the new build. I fired it up for the first time today and it smokes really badly and bogs also I've noticed it's spewing oil out the exhaust which looks like burnt off 2 stroke mixed with tranny oil :/ looks like I'm going to have fun over the next few week rebuilding that :(