94 KDX rear brake caliper.. stripped pins =(

Got questions? We got answers....
Jenger

Post by Jenger »

Hey guys. So the beginning of this yr I got this 94 KDX. I was heavy into riding atv's when I was younger, stopped for awhile, got back into the sport with the KDX.

Starting to replace a few things and bring some new life back into her. Everything is pretty old and it looks like not much has been touched in 15yrs.

Yesterday and today I did new brake pads (front), new brake fluid (front), front + rear sprocket and chain. I had wanted to do the rear brakes too, but when I went to unscrew the allen bolts that are the pins for the brake pads, well, the one stripped out and went from "hex" to almost circular.

Ill admit my downfall, last night I was using US allen keys. I realized this morning and grabbed my metric set which fit alot more snug but it was too late. Are there any neat tricks to helping an allen bolt out? Is it worth trying to dig out or should I look into a new caliper?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 94 KDX rear brake caliper.. stripped pins =(

Post by 6 Riders »

Dig it out.....I had one strip out on my 94.....so, you will need an "easy out" kit, I bought mine from NAPA for around $15. Try to use the EO w/o drilling first, it might or might not work, but no point in drilling if you don't have to. If you have to drill, the head of the pin is MUCH bigger than the pin itself, so use the smallest EO that you can. Once the pin is out AND you know that you didn't ruin the caliper, go to http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/ and order $93 worth of stuff that you need and this http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/44/ ... -/-/91324/ or just that a couple spark plugs and pay $7 for shipping (you'll still save money). Replace both pins, you might as well as they are probably worn out anyways. Reattach your caliper, bleed the brakes and go ride.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

You could also try some left handed drill bits. I had a bolt break in my clutch basket and someone offered to get it ot for me with left twist drill bits. Sure enough it took him all of 10 seconds to get the bolt out. The bit usually catches in the bolt and it will just back out. He said 90% of time they work. If they don't, at least you have the hole already drilled for an easy out. Went out that night and bought a set.
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 94 KDX rear brake caliper.. stripped pins =(

Post by Postigo »

Dekon wrote:You could also try some left handed drill bits. I had a bolt break in my clutch basket and someone offered to get it ot for me with left twist drill bits. Sure enough it took him all of 10 seconds to get the bolt out. The bit usually catches in the bolt and it will just back out. He said 90% of time they work. If they don't, at least you have the hole already drilled for an easy out. Went out that night and bought a set.
Thats a good idea but first you need to apply heat to the bolt with some penetrating oil first. The caliper bolts tend to froze by corrosion. Just be gentle with the heat or you can melt the the calipers seals. Try to put some antiseize on the bold treads before installation. Good luck
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...