rewound stator, lights dimmer than before

Got questions? We got answers....
TheJackRabbit
Supporting Member

rewound stator, lights dimmer than before

Post by TheJackRabbit »

I recently rewound my stator per slick nicks instuctions, but there is a chance I used 16 AWG wire not 18, would this cause dimmer lights at idle but brighter at revs?

I may have used 16 AWG becasue I picked up some left over wire from a local shop they said it was 18, but it looks thicker to me than in slick nicks pictures
http://www.youtube.com/allthatstuff35 <--- some KDX videos here
I'm smarter than I act
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: rewound stator, lights dimmer than before

Post by bufftester »

Yes it would cause exactly that. THe number of windings is what determines the voltage, not the size of the wire. The wire size determines the current. So larger wire=fewer turns=lower voltage at idle but with thicker wire more current as rpms increase. It should be fine as long as you don't plan on riding around with lights on at idle :lol:
TheJackRabbit
Supporting Member

Post by TheJackRabbit »

okay thanks, now I have another winter project of rewinding it with 17 or 18AWG, also the end of the coil stopped on the negative side so i had to run i the wire diagonal across the coil to the positive terminal, would this have any ill effects?

I primarily did the rewind because I will be getting the bike street legal soon and want to run a 55/60 watt high/low beam bulb, but looks like that bulb will have to wait until i re-rewind the stator :doh:
I'm smarter than I act
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

No issues with running the wire across, look at most alternators and they do that to some degree. Keep in mind that even rewound a 55/60 watt bulb is going to be a big drain, especially since you'll likely also have a 5 or 7 watt tail light and turn signals, and a horn...main reason a lot of folks go the route of adding a battery and rectifier (ala Baja Designs). It will help if you go with LEDs for the remaining lights since they draw much less current. The only thing you will gain by re-rewinding your stator with 18ga is a slightly higher idle voltage, but at the expense of current carrying at revs. I'd leave it as is and go ahead with the lights. (though I'm sure I'll get flamed for suggesting such an idea).
TheJackRabbit
Supporting Member

Post by TheJackRabbit »

I understand what you're saying, but with a 35 watt headlight currently and a 10 watt tail light the lights dim at idle, i will be getting the tusk dual sport kit so only the headlight will be run off of the stator, tail light, turn signals, horn off of rechargeable battery, so with 55/60 watts won't it dim even more at idle? I don't want to be sitting at a stop in the dusk and have barley any light, or am I wrong?
I'm smarter than I act
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

All I'm saying is, if you know that you're installing that kit, just do it, and rewind later if it needs it. Honestly how much time do you spend idling at night on the street? I just wouldn't make rewinding a pre-requisite for installing your lights.
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Roadhazardguy »

I would run it as is for now but tie the battery in with the stator with a reg/rec so that the headlight won't dim at idle, and even if it drains the battery a little it should catch back up once you're cruising.
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R
TheJackRabbit
Supporting Member

Post by TheJackRabbit »

I'll run it the way it is for now and if I don't like the dimming, then Ill get a full motorcycle battery to run the light and the tusk kit, thanks for all the info
I'm smarter than I act
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

What about thinner wire and more winds? I've rewound a couple atv stators but I usually stay stock wire and winds.
2002 KDX 200
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Thinner wire and more winds gives you a higher voltage output, but lower current carrying capability. Thicker wire and fewer turns gives lower voltage and higher current capability. There is a point of diminishing returns both ways. Makes no sense to go too thin for higher voltage since its clipped off at 12 anyways. Best to go for the highest current carrying capacity at a voltage as close to 12 as possible. That's why 18ga works well...16ga will work as well, but as noted the idle voltage is a bit lower than stock. The good thing is, no matter what size you use, it's just a lighting coil and you aren't going to do anything to kill your bike.