02 200 gearing question..

Got questions? We got answers....
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I just found out my 02 200 has 13/52 gearing. I'm also finding out that I'm getting about 20 miles before I have to use reserve on my tank. Are those 5 extra teeth causing me this poor mileage? Why on gods earth did the po think he needed that much lower gearing ill never know. My measured top speed in 6th gear is 56mph! The po of my Kdx bought a klr650 to ride and he told me he was "dropping 2 teeth on the front sprocket and adding 4 to the rear" ! Holy crap! There must be tree stumps that need pullin' on his property. Lol.
2002 KDX 200
Robkx250

Re: 02 200 gearing question..

Post by Robkx250 »

Yes that will be why you are getting so lower mileage on the fuel but its all down to what sort of riding you do to how you gear your bike that gearing is more for mx riding if your wanting better fuel consumption I would louse a few teeth on the rear or add some on the front I would also check how your carb is set up as it Gould be running really rich
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Yep. Today my bike started running rich again; throaty sounding with strong gas smell. I'm about to toss this piece of crap into the weeds. I spent $70 on entire new parts in the carb, rejetted, and it ran fine for one day now its back to rich blubbering. The crank seals are NOT leaking either. My petcock still flows a little fuel in the off position so that is all that's left to replace. It would seem like that wouldn't make it run rich though would it? I can't figure out why it ran so damned good yesterday and today it's running like crap. Either that or it really needs that 38 pilot. The temp is a lot cooler as well, so I don't know.
2002 KDX 200
Robkx250

Post by Robkx250 »

Try dropping the needle all the way down and start from there it may only be that your running rich on the lower end of the rpm or maybe you have a different needle in. The dropping the needle warming her up to running temp then going for a short ride to clear her out. Take a plug spanner with you and once warm and cleared out in about 3rd gear get on a straight open the throttle all the way up until you are flat out pull the clutch in and hit the kill switch, make sure you don't let it idle kill it straight away after top revs and keep clutch pulled in until stationary then whip the plug out and have a look how she's running that will tell you if it's lean / rich
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I don't think the gearing has anything to do with the fuel usage. I run 12/48 and that is pretty close to the 13/52 you have and I can get probably about 50+ miles before reserve riding steep rough terrain. Most of the trails I ride are 2-3 gear. I think you need to look at the float adjustment and see if it is running gas out the over flow.

Check your gearing here, http://www.gearingcommander.com/
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I think it's just my style of riding that's using it, since my floats are perfect and there's no gas from my overflow. I going back to stock gearing as soon as possible though since I'm having to shift like a madman in most trail situations. My first gear is useless unless used as a stump-puller gear. I can pull out in third gear, so you can imagine how low it is.
2002 KDX 200
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I don't think I could get my bike to burn enough gas to get down to reserve in 20 miles. Mo mater the gearing. Im not sure how much gas is between full and reserve but I would think it would be 2.25 and 2.5 gallons so that would put your milage down around 8 or 9 miles per gallon.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

just out of curiosity, how many miles can you run on reserve?
maybe the main gas line on the petcock is abnormally long (insert anatomical joke here)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Is your local riding place the 5MOH by any chance?
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

rbates9 wrote:Is your local riding place the 5MOH by any chance?
Nope.
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I've fixed a lot of problems in the past few days that seem to have me in better shape. I rigged some internal filters on my petcock posts, finalized my jetting, and have been mindful of my throttle hand. Mpg is a lot better. I kept getting crud into my pilot And I had to rev it constantly to keep it from dying, so that in itself was eating my gas up. I do believe I am officially finished having to repair problems that lack of maintenance by previous owners has caused. It's been a mess, and anyone who willfully won't maintain their machine deserves a beating.
2002 KDX 200