02 200 final jetting and carb adjustment report

Got questions? We got answers....
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: 02 200 final jetting and carb adjustment report

Post by Actionman »

Malarkey01 wrote:In addition...I've never needed to use the choke. The bike starts first kick hot or stone cold without the choke...
Mine doesn't need the choke either. It did yesterday one time, but it was probably where I'd drained the tank and carb. Some say that it's too rich of a pilot jet if u don't need the choke on a cold engine, but even a 38 pilot didn't need it. I'm going to block off my choke and see of it changes anything as a test, because a worn choke bore might be letting fuel through as was suggested by someone on here the other day. I still don't have mine 100% but it's about 98%, and before I replaced the jet block gasket it was about 50-60%. The old gasket was adding another uncontrollable variable to my situation, but now it all simply down to airscrew settings, clip positions, humidity and outside temperature, as it should be ideally.
2002 KDX 200
Malarkey01

Post by Malarkey01 »

The link is in the very first post near the bottom. It says "image". That probably threw you off :)
Malarkey01

Post by Malarkey01 »

Is the "jet block gasket" anything on this schematic?

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/5
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Malarkey01 wrote:Is the "jet block gasket" anything on this schematic?

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/5
The jet block gasket isn't on any schematic because it is a supposedly "non-serviceable" part. Inside the carb next to the main jet tower you'll see two tots head screws on either side you'll have to remove to take off the jet block.
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Malarkey01 wrote:The link is in the very first post near the bottom. It says "image". That probably threw you off :)
Seriously I can't see any link of any kind! Might be my phone not showing it. I'll check on my desktop later.
2002 KDX 200
Malarkey01

Post by Malarkey01 »

G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

Not showing on my phone either.
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Yeah marlaky, that's pretty much how mine sounded .
2002 KDX 200
Malarkey01

Post by Malarkey01 »

Hmm doesn't show up on my phone either. Click the white box two posts above this one, goes direct to video.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

You're running rich. I'm assuming a 96 is the h series like my 02, so buy a 38, 40, 42, and 45 pilot and a 155, 152, and 150 main and you'll have the right jet for just about every situation. It's going to be about $50, but it's not wasted money. Pick up 3 jet block gaskets as well, cause one might get pinched while u install it if u don't dab a touch of glue at a few areas around the sealing surface. Start out with a 155 main and a 40 pilot and adjust your airscrew 1 1/2 turns out. If your carb is clean, air filter and petcock filters are right, you'll have it running great in no time. Remember to get a couple new plugs as well and pack your silencer. Good luck, buddy!
2002 KDX 200
Malarkey01

Post by Malarkey01 »

Yes, I've heard about this repacking the silencer...sounds like something I don't really wanna have to do but should...? :(

Thanks for your help Actionman...I'll have more questions so I apologize and say thankyou ahead of time.

I'm still deciding if I wanna keep the bike or sell and get something else. From what I can tell so far...the guy did'nt take good care of it so not I want something like that.

Something else I just thought of, when it's idling, there is a clicking/ticking noise...is this normal?
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Lord yes, that kips valve is a noisy thing. I can hear my valve snap open and close if I use my airbox lids since the kips noise is louder than my exhaust lol. By the way: stock silencers don't need repacking I think, so you're good if your stock. Gotta get your feet wet sometimes regarding repairs. I disassembled every bike I owned as a kid to learn how things worked. There's still tins I don't know since I haven't fooled with bikes in 20 years. I'm having to relearn a lot of the basics.
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

If you got the bike cheap enough, a few hundred extra bucks isn't bad for the peace of mind knowing you've fixed all its ills. My Kdx needs about $200 more work just in bearings, but luckily it's pretty solid except for jetting. It ills me to see people not even change oil on a bike. A few months back I bought a 2001 yz250 that was seized for $200. After I got it apart, it needed EVERY SINGLE nut, bolt, bearing, and engine part. I spent $1000 before I said "what the hell am I doing?" And sold all my newly bought parts on eBay. I broke even after I sold some parts off the chassis, but I'll never buy a basket case again. I was smart enough to keep the entire front and rear brake systems, renthal bars, levers, throttle, and all the nots and bolts off that yz though. I've saved a lot of cash by using those old parts for my Kdx and other bikes, wish I hadn't sold that pwk38 carb though. I sold it for $28 on eBay and it was nice as heck! I threw away the forks and clamps about 2 days before I got my Kdx, as well as the front and rear rims- all parts I need now to fix my Kdx and rm125. Boo!
2002 KDX 200
Malarkey01

Post by Malarkey01 »

So I took carb apart, doesn't look that bad. Found there is a 152M and 48P in it......seems weird to me. I'm at about 100ft elevation. Any thoughts anybody?
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Malarkey01 wrote:So I took carb apart, doesn't look that bad. Found there is a 152M and 48P in it......seems weird to me. I'm at about 100ft elevation. Any thoughts anybody?
Buy a 38, 40, and 42 pilot and you're set. You're at about the same elevation I am.
2002 KDX 200
Malarkey01

Post by Malarkey01 »

Ya, thats what I figured, but it's weird because its not my idling that is the problem. It idles great. The problem is when I get ripping from like 25% throttle to 100% throttle and especially at 100% throttle is where it is sputtering and burping which would tell me its the main jet no? I maybe need to change my main jet...
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: 02 200 final jetting and carb adjustment reports

Post by Actionman »

Malarkey01 wrote:Ya, thats what I figured, but it's weird because its not my idling that is the problem. It idles great. The problem is when I get ripping from like 25% throttle to 100% throttle and especially at 100% throttle is where it is sputtering and burping which would tell me its the main jet no? I maybe need to change my main jet...
I've seen quite a few forums where 145 and 150 main jets are recommended in some cases.wouldnt hurt to try but be mindful of pinging from a lean condition. Raise your needle clip to the top position before you change mains to see if it helps. Your bike sounded pretty rich while it was idling, just like mine.
2002 KDX 200
Vintner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Vintner »

Actionman -

Is the o ring for the jet block underneath the torx head bolts with the security tab in the middle. In other words, do I need to remove those to find it? Thanks in advance.

Vintner
95 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Vintner wrote:Actionman -

Is the o ring for the jet block underneath the torx head bolts with the security tab in the middle. In other words, do I need to remove those to find it? Thanks in advance.

Vintner
95 KDX 200
Yep. I had to slot the torx bolts with a dremel cutting wheel to get them out with a flat blade screwdriver, and I replaced them with hex-wrench bolts and blue loctite.
2002 KDX 200
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

You should be able to find the torx bits with the security hole in the middle just about anywhere that sells tools.

And blue loctite in or on a carb???? :doh: