02 200 final jetting and carb adjustment report

Got questions? We got answers....
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

rbates9 wrote:You should be able to find the torx bits with the security hole in the middle just about anywhere that sells tools.

And blue loctite in or on a carb???? :doh:
The stock bolts were Blue loctited, rbates. Covered in blue loctite. As long as you let it dry I don't see a problem with the small amount that's used. I'm just a follower, lol. Maybe it was a non-gas soluble type? Either way, my stockers had it! As to the Allen headed bolts- they are easier to deal with in my book, and I have sworn an oath against safety- torx bolts, so I never use em.
2002 KDX 200
Vintner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Vintner »

This bit about the jet block o ring is worthy of adding to the jetting guide. I have been trying to figure out why my bike has been running too rich for a year, not realizing that gas is getting from the bowl into the upper chamber other than through the jets (ie through that almost 20 year old gasket [95 KDX 200] called the jet block o ring). I suggest adding 1) a picture showing the location underneath the security tab torx bolts and what it looks like, especially since it's not on any exploded view of the carb (I finally found a picture on Thumpertalk); 2) that it's not really an o ring, but three o rings attached to a half moon shaped gasket; 3) that it can be purchased @ jets r us for about $4.40 (although the shipping is more than the part and jets r us website does not show where it goes, it just lists it on the parts for the carb); 4) that rather than buying all the little replacement parts on a carb (other than jets, needles & slides), if starting with an old un-maintained carb, a whole new carb can be purchased for $166 from jets r us (including free shipping), which may be a good place to start and cut down on a lot of time and effort in the jetting process.

I love my KDX & riding the woods/mountains here in central Idaho @ about 7k and really appreciate all the help this forum & committed KDX devotees have supplied to my bike rebuild. Hopefully, this is helpful to other KDX Riders too.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: 02 200 final jetting and carb adjustment report

Post by Actionman »

care has to be taken to ensure the gasket doesnt get smushed between the edges of the block as well. i added the tinest bit of superglue on various points of the oring to ensure correct install.
2002 KDX 200
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I was able to pop the little security post out of the center by bending it over with a punch. Broke off surprisingly easily. After that a regular torx bit took 'em right out. I got the gasket from sudco.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Julien D wrote:I was able to pop the little security post out of the center by bending it over with a punch. Broke off surprisingly easily. After that a regular torx bit took 'em right out. I got the gasket from sudco.
i just slotted mine with a dremel. I wouldve used my security torx adapters but i lost em ages ago.
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

finalized jetting at 152 main, 38 pilot, clip 2nd from top, and airscrew at exactly 1 1/2 out. Runs absolutly perfect, and the "hit" is back since its not rich in the main anymore. found out im at 1300 ft above sea level instead of 700, so my jetting is similar to others at this altitude according to the net. airbox lid and snotkel intact by the way. I tried to remove it, but way too much water droplets end up on my filter. ill get some foam, drill some hole and rejet later, but for now its great! ordered 4 new needles to try out plus a 150 main if its ever needed so i can play around with it in the future. mpg hovers around 21-25 miles per gallon so im doing better there as well. good times!
2002 KDX 200