Help with brake bleeding

Got questions? We got answers....
carts69
Supporting Member

Help with brake bleeding

Post by carts69 »

KDX 220, new pistons & seals installed in caliper, new HEL brakeline, new master cylinder kit! Cant get any front brake pressure, bled with caliper on bike,bled with caliper off bike & above master cylinder, bled with nipple facing downwards still nothing! im just getting a little dribble from the nipple...zero pressure. I have been using a one way pressure tube on the nipple, even tried direct from the nipple loosening & tightening & banjo bolts. Any ideas?
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Help with brake bleeding

Post by diymirage »

I never had it as bad as you are describing but our brakes are notorious to bleed
what I have found to work best is to get everything installed, tightened up and then just apply a zip tie to the brake lever and let it sit overnight
usually the next morning upon removal of the zip tie I have good pressure

but like I said, never had it as bad as your describing, then again, I never installed new pistons and seal....maybe something didn't line up perfectly?
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
cornishwrecker220

Help with brake bleeding

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

I had a similar problem in bleeding the brakes on a bike I rebuilt once...I found that the master cylinders plunger wasn't fully extending ( due to no fluid being in there ) which made bleeding almost impossible...once I had gentley prized it out so it was fully out the fluid began to flow into it & I then managed to get the pressure up...you could try this, also fill the master up & undo the bleed nipple ( keeping the lever in ) & let gravity to its business for an hour or so..this should force out any air from the hose which is a start.
carts69
Supporting Member

Help with brake bleeding

Post by carts69 »

Thanks guys, I shall try your ideas! cause at the moment im at a total loss, everthing being new seems to have caused this, no doubt a fully dried system & new hose im up against it, back out there tomorrow & try the above ideas.......
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Roadhazardguy »

The quickest way to bleed it would probably be to pull the piston out of the master and fill it with fluid then carefully put it back together trying not to loose any fluid. Last time I did it this way it took maybe two minutes to bleed all the air out.

Btw the bleeder needs to be pointed up for the air to escape, air goes up liquid does down. Hope this helps.
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Help with brake bleeding

Post by Actionman »

I fill a 100cc syringe with brake fluid, attach a hose to the syringe and brake bleed nipple, then open the nipple and push fluid through the bottom into the reservoir. If you have no air bubbles in the syringe, it'll do an awesome job. It pushes out air put through the reservoir as well. Remember to remove the master cylinder cover and put rags around it so u don't get fluid all over everything. Using this method, it doesn't matter if your lines and caliper are empty of fluid, cause it'll fill them up and move into the line and up into the master cylinder taking air with it. This method also helps flush out old fluid if you need to change it.
2002 KDX 200
ukkdx200

Help with brake bleeding

Post by ukkdx200 »

Actionman wrote:I fill a 100cc syringe with brake fluid, attach a hose to the syringe and brake bleed nipple, then open the nipple and push fluid through the bottom into the reservoir. If you have no air bubbles in the syringe, it'll do an awesome job. It pushes out air put through the reservoir as well. Remember to remove the master cylinder cover and put rags around it so u don't get fluid all over everything. Using this method, it doesn't matter if your lines and caliper are empty of fluid, cause it'll fill them up and move into the line and up into the master cylinder taking air with it. This method also helps flush out old fluid if you need to change it.

What he said^^
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Help with brake bleeding

Post by Actionman »

A 100cc syringe is about $6 on eBay. A normal 30cc syringe can be used, but it is a little more hassle. I put the 100cc syringe on the list of "must have" tools for working on bikes. People that have never used this method are amazed at how strong their brakes are afterwards, and that one person can do the job!
2002 KDX 200
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

You can get 60 cc syringes at tractor supply 2 for $3.50. They are plenty big enough. this is definatly the best and fastest way to go.
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Roadhazardguy »

That does sound a little easier but last time I did it I already had the master apart so I filled it up before I put it back together.
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

Pushing new fluid into the caliper and up to the master cylinder is the quickest, easiest, most sure way to do it once and be done. Only way in my opinion.
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile