Kdx wiring advice needed please

Got questions? We got answers....
Robkx250

Kdx wiring advice needed please

Post by Robkx250 »

Hi everyone As I posted earlier on last month I'm currently doing a supermoto conversion on my 2003 kdx 220. So far I've managed to fit a rear 17" black supermoto rim to the rear kdx hub and lace if myself it's turned out very good I'm really pleased with it, I'm just waiting on a front wheel to be delivered so I can strip if and do the same to my front. I've fitted a yamaha wr 125 wireing harnace with indicators, frong and rear light with high / low beam a horn and a battery in the air box. I'm also about to fit an alarm and a tracking device to my bike which will require more power so I'm wanting some advice on how to get the kdx stator to charge up the battery while in riding, I've tried to connect a live and earth from the kdx lighting loom but I have no joy if just seems to short out the battery. Can any one please give me some advice on what I could do to make it power up my battery please.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Kdx wiring advice needed please

Post by bufftester »

IN order to charge a battery you'll need a regulator/rectifier, and you need to float the ground off the stator (remove it from chassis and extend the wire to the R/R). Search for Baja Designs mod should net you some more info. Rewinding the stator will help output voltage as well and there is a thread specifically for that on here http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... tor+rewind. As for any other Supermoto questions, hit up dude541 (build thread: http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=14204) he has built an awesom SM.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

you biggest issue is that you are trying to charge a DC battery with an AC system
only way to achieve what you want is to convert to a DC system by installing a rectifier
im not too good at electronics but the way I figure it a rectifier turns your AC (two way street) into a DC (one way street) by only allowing waves one way and basically cutting the power in half (instead of having 5 waves to the left and 5 waves to the right you now only have 5 waves to the left)
you will need to rewind your stator to come close to running a decent lighting system
here is a page (or 9) on how to achieve it and what to expect)

I rewound mine a while ago and still have plenty wire left so shoot me a PM with your address and ill get it out to you

as for the best way to run lights, first off, whenever possible use LEDs, they draw way les power

the battery might be tricky, and you just might want to consider getting a battery with a quick connect and hooking her up to a trickle charger each night might be the most painless way to go

if you are set on getting a battery that charges during rides check out Baja designs, I think they use a small version
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Without a starter, there really isn't much use for a battery.
jwhking1315

Post by jwhking1315 »

Julien D wrote:Without a starter, there really isn't much use for a battery.
I think he wants the battery for the alarm & tracking device. Be kinda hard to keep the bike running 24/7 just so the alarm will be armed whenever he parks it....
Robkx250

Post by Robkx250 »

[quote="diymirage"]you biggest issue is that you are trying to charge a DC battery with an AC system
only way to achieve what you want is to convert to a DC system by installing a rectifier
im not too good at electronics but the way I figure it a rectifier turns your AC (two way street) into a DC (one way street) by only allowing waves one way and basically cutting the power in half (instead of having 5 waves to the left and 5 waves to the right you now only have 5 waves to the left)
you will need to rewind your stator to come close to running a decent lighting system

I rewound mine a while ago and still have plenty wire left so shoot me a PM with your address and ill get it out to you

as for the best way to run lights, first off, whenever possible use LEDs, they draw way les power

the battery might be tricky, and you just might want to consider getting a battery with a quick connect and hooking her up to a trickle charger each night might be the most painless way to go

if you are set on getting a battery that charges during rides check out Baja designs, I think they use a small version[/quote

Right I'm on it I think I will try to fit the rectifier from the wr 125 that should do it. ive been looking at getting a rear led stop ant tail light instead of the wr 125 one so i suppose thats just an excuse i could use to get one ;) as for my address I'm in England if your in the us if might cost you more than it would be for you to buy if you ship it me?
Robkx250

Post by Robkx250 »

bufftester wrote:IN order to charge a battery you'll need a regulator/rectifier, and you need to float the ground off the stator (remove it from chassis and extend the wire to the R/R). Search for Baja Designs mod should net you some more info. Rewinding the stator will help output voltage as well and there is a thread specifically for that on here http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... tor+rewind. As for any other Supermoto questions, hit up dude541 (build thread: http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=14204) he has built an awesom SM.

Thanks for those links I've had a good look at them the supermoto is lovely that's what I'm planning on getting mine like but with black rims :) :supz:
Robkx250

Post by Robkx250 »

Julien D wrote:Without a starter, there really isn't much use for a battery.
I need the battery for the alarm and tracker and it will also come in handy for the horn as the one I've got on is from a cbr 600 and is pretty loud :) I don't thi k the stator would power that and the lights at he same time even if rewound
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

diymirage wrote:you biggest issue is that you are trying to charge a DC battery with an AC system

if you are set on getting a battery that charges during rides check out Baja designs, I think they use a small version
+1

I have looked into various ways to make a good dc lighting system, but the kdx lighting stator is that poor, even a rewound one using a reg/rec the lighting is still poor, and not enough juice really to charge any kind of battery!

I have a full led rear light, and a 50w halogen front low beam which is run of the AC system, I am currently installing a separate high beam using a very small lithium-ion 12v dc battery (6800mah) it will run another 50w halogen for the MOT, but then get swapped with a led that has 4 x 3w crees making around 500 lumens, the battery will also power the horn, the battery is quick release and rechargeable.
I thought about indicators, but decided against it, and my alarm is a couple of chains with good padlocks! :grin:

best regards
john
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

shipping across the pound will definitely take some toll
too bad

as for the LED tail light, I have one on my KDX and it works great (though it flashes at idle) even on the AC system
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

In a situation like that you need to use LED lights although they aren't as powerful.
Make sure you use the lighting coil and not the stator coil which powers the CDI which is voltage dependant. More load on it means less voltage which throws the timing off.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
MattR14513

Post by MattR14513 »

was their an off set to the rear wheel buy any chance I need to know because I was stupid and did not check if their was any before I took it apart could you measure yours and tell me it their is any at all