Frame Guards, Just For Looks??

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

For a 95 and up.... They must not be puttin' em on! It looks as if they are only for the left side too!

14090 14090-1514 COVER
14090A 14090-1557 COVER

Last edited by Indawoods on 12:22 am Oct 09 2005, edited 1 time in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

WELL, I'LL BE!!! There is a left frame cover and a left subpipe cover on the 1995 KDX200 diagram! It is on the "Frame Fittings" diagram.

Also, from my dear, close, personal friend Ron Ayers:

Part Number: 14090-1514
Description: COVER
Price: $5.16

Part Number: 14090-1557
Description: COVER
Price: $2.73

Yet another example of what I mean when I say that everyone has something to contribute, and even asking the same old question in a different manner can spark a new way to look at things. We can all benefit from the information and dialog!

Thanks for the suggestion, Indawoods!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hey, look. My slow typing pays off again. :lol:

Quailchaser, don't drown in the shallow end of the pity pool. You'll get your head back on in no time. Heck, you may even get it back before I reassemble one of my bikes. :lol:

Let us know how the carb and head mod works out. :supz:

Indawoods, if you do not make that picture smaller, I will contact the site owner and report you. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: He IS the owner in case anyone didn't get my joke.
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

I'm just a little PO'd at the moment...I haven't had much time on the bike this summer. Another local club has asked for help from our club to help them set up the GP course for the November ARMA race. Free track time and running an almost virgin ST section...and my bike is down. :cry: :mad: See why I had such a dilemma about pulling the bike down. :rolleyes:

On top of that, the AMRA hare scramble that was fully permitted and completely set up for October 23, had to be moved to a different location due to radical greenies and some idiot judge that felt they know what's best for everyone. :twisted: Every special use permit issued by the Forest Service Nationwide (again--NATIONWIDE) Issued after July has been revoked! :butthead: If that doesn't piss off the OHV community enough to get together as one voice, I'm afraid our sport is in a world of hurt.

I just got back from an Arizona Off Highway Vehicle Coalition meeting today. The Radical Greenies have their sights set on AZ. The time to be reactive is over. It's 1000 times harder to get land re-opened for OHV use than it is to save it in the first place.

Rant over...what was this thread about? :blink: Oh yeah, I remember. That is exactly where my frame and sub frame are rubbed clean of paint. :mad: I'll bet that if I had those on the frame it would still have paint there. Of course there would be torn and tattered clear plastic instead... :lol:

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I have not ridden a bike I own in over a year, so I know exactly what you mean about itching to go. If not for riding friends' bikes for a little while, I might have gone crazy. :grin:

I think it would be easier to replace some clear vinyl than to replace the paint. :grin:

(back to setting up the paint booth)
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Jason the frame guards on mine don't rub the paint off. I will take one off and get a pic underneath it for you soon.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Jason - Works connection used to make frame guards for the E KDX's. I've got a set on my 89. If they were not there I can't say that i'd miss them though.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

I run into enough greenies. I ride past and if they give trouble, they EAT ROOST-LOTS OF ROOST. I don't see them picking up after themselves along the trails and the woods are just for them-So what don't we understand. Thats the problem with the court systems, TOO MANY LIBRIAL ACTIVIST JURISTS.
So paint away boys
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the info, guys! morie - thanks for letting me know that they used to make some guards. There is a good bit of discontinued models that are hard to figure out.
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
Green Hornet wrote:I run into enough greenies. I ride past and if they give trouble, they EAT ROOST-LOTS OF ROOST. I don't see them picking up after themselves along the trails and the woods are just for them-So what don't we understand. Thats the problem with the court systems, TOO MANY LIBRIAL ACTIVIST JURISTS.
So paint away boys
Too true! The "green groups" have been invited to EVERY clean up day for the past 2 years. Representatives from the 4 X 4 clubs, the ATV clubs, the horse clubs, the motorcycle clubs, the hiking clubs, the gun clubs, the State agencies, and Federal agencies all show up at every event. :supz:

You know who never shows up? That's right...the envirionmental groups. Not once has even a single person representing the environmental groups ever shown up. Yeah, they really care about OUR land... :butthead:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
cmot

Post by cmot »

Well I need to make a post so Ill add that I've have both the plastic green ones and the works connection alum. for my 1990 DX. And I like the looks and protection they give. The right side one protects the brake master also. Scuffed alum looks alot better than worn off paint. Alum polishes preety easy. :supz:
Unfortunatly I don't get to ride as much as I used to so I keep my bike looking good all the time. Plus as I'm getting older I rely on the bike to make me look fast.
Its called static speed. :lol:
Just bury me when I can't ride anymore...
43Duc748

Post by 43Duc748 »

I've seen the plastic fame guards and I, quite frankly, don't see the point. If the purpose is to keep the paint nice and intact, well, what's the point of having clean pristine paint if it's covered by a frame guard? As for snagging, I'm not sure how other frames besides mine are designed, but if I'm snagging on my frame, then I broke it on lift-off cuz there is nothing to snag it on. I'd almost venture to guess the probability of a snag is greater on a frame guard that may come loose or pull slightly away from the frame, especially if wearing over-the-boot pants.

Don't get me wrong, I wish the paint wasn't rubbed off, but it is... just a bi-product of riding. I've been thinking that when this riding season is over I may just strip my frame down and powder-coat it and see how that does. I don't think frame guards are good for anything. You can almost equate frame guards to drop-in bedliners in pickup trucks - designed to keep the paint and bed in great condtion, but unless you take the liner out of the truck, you'll never see that prisinte paint.

Okay, just an opinion, flame away!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Makes sense to me. :grin: Sorry for the lack of flames. :grin:
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I don't like having to repaint the frame to keep it looking good, oh and the surface rust, thats why I got the plastic ones. They look better than worn away paint on a rusted frame. :rolleyes: Sorry, thats the best "flaming" I can give ya... :butthead: :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
43Duc748

Post by 43Duc748 »

>|<>QBB<
KAY DEE EXER wrote:I don't like having to repaint the frame to keep it looking good, oh and the surface rust,
Okay, surface rust... I didn't think about that one. Here in SoCal it's so dry I've yet to see any surface rust on the "polished" sections of my frame. Good point!
mattR

Post by mattR »

I have the Works Connection frame guards on my 97. They provide a smooth flat surface to grip with the of boots. A 5 star product.
97 KDX 220
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

There is clear tape on my boy's 200.

Certainly is not abrasive tape - just a clear protective tape from what I can see.

I also installed the UFO green plastic guards to eliminate most of the paint rub off from riding. Did not want to see or address rust issues.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
parker72001

Post by parker72001 »

my bike has clear tape on it, i think, i'm not looking at my bike right now but i'm pretty sure there is some tape
Parker Woods, 20 years old,
'04 KDX 220R
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

I had the clear tape on my 04 frame. "Had" is the key word! It started falling off on the second ride :neutral:

I have tried two more types of the clear tape that we had here at work. A Scotch brand that was .032 thick and a 3M type that was .025 thick. They both lasted about two rides and peeled off. :blink:
At age 4 success is . . not peeing in your pants.
At age 12 success is . . having friends.
At age 16 success is having a drivers license.
At age 35 success is having money.
At age 50 success is . . having money.
At age 70 success is . . . having a drivers license.
At age 75 success is . having friends.
At age 80 success is . not peeing in your pants.
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

What about Ski Skins-P/U at your local Ski Shop. Stuff is tuff as nails and sticks well.
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr