Frame Guards, Just For Looks??

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Frame Guards, Just For Looks??

Post by KDXGarage »

Are frame guards good for anything besides looks? Does anyone have them on their bike and can tell the difference in feel, frame paint wear or anything??

Thanks for any information.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

i have some. i have a skid plate, and two side cover guards right kinda were your boot rub up against the frame. The guards inn my opinion help but they do cause some frame wear, thats they reason im repainting my frame.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hi. I am talking about the frame guards that mount onto the frame on the insides of your boots, so thanks for commenting on your situation.

Did you put anything under the guards before mounting them? Are yours made of plastic or aluminum? How do they mount to the frame? I have never seen any "in person", so I am not familiar with how they mount.

Thanks.
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

the ones i have are aluminum and to me i think they are great. Although some people may not think they are useful, if you can get them for a good price i would. I mount them to the frame by alen head bolts. I dont really know the exact position because my bike is apart. Are you looking at plastic or aluminum guards??
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

o ya, they do take off a little paint i think from virbation, but i bet if you put a small amount of grease between the guard and the frame, it would definatly decrease rub off. The guard on the left side goes right were you boot would rub. The guard keeps your leg from rubbing off the first maybe 6 inches of boot rub.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Are your guards made by Works Connection?

I don't think there is a company that makes metal guards for one of my KDX's. I think they are just made for 1995 and newer full sized KDX's.

When you say that they are mounted by allen head bolts, did you have to drill and tap a hole into the frame, or do they have some other method of mounting?
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

well i know the one on the right side uses the rear brake fluid mount to hold it on and im not sure about the left, but i know no holes are needed to be drilled. And yes they are made by works connection. Can you find some or no?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

So on the right, you take out the OEM bolt and replace it with a new one, correct?

Works Connection does not make them for bikes older than 1995. All my KDX's are older than that. If I get some, they would have to be plastic.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

My KDX has the works connection aluminum guards. Frankly, they don't do much, if anything, except keep the frame paint from being rubbed by my boots. My frame is still rubbed further up anyway by my boots. You should be able to see them in my gallery. Maybe they keep my boots from snagging on frame parts? I don't know. They wear and look bad quickly as aluminum tends to do unless you are into polishing and buffing it out all the time.
Now, the KX frame guards are a different story. The stock KX ones did not come with my bike but there are lots of them on eBay. I got the Acerbis ones from rockymountainmc.com and they are nice. They go much further up on the frame than the works connections on my KDX and are cheap enough to replace annually.
I've seen the plastic frame guards for the KDX but only in green and didn't care for that color. Black is much better looking. I don't know who made them though.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Maybe they keep my boots from snagging on frame parts?
That is one thing I was wondering about. I wondered if my feet flew off the pegs and I landed with my feet a few inches above the pegs, I would not want them to snag on a frame part.

I know what you mean on the OEM KX guards (the black ones with the Kawasaki logo on them). I will check out your Gallery for the guard photos.

I won't hold out for black frame guards. I may do good to get green on my year model bikes. :mrgreen:
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I got the green plastic UFO ones. They mount with zip ties and existing mounting bolts for the rear brake guard. I'll get pics if you are interested. BTW still no 87, hopefully on Tuesday night.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I think the plastic ones are better for what I want them for: keep paint on the frame. If they only come in green, maybe they could be dunked in that liquid plastic stuff I've seen at the hardware store used to coat the handles on hand tools.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I've seen people use that grip tape on their frames... comes stock on some bikes. Keeps the paint on....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I've seen tape that is used for stairs or places with slippery footing. It's black and includes a sandpaper like finish. Works well from what I've been told.
Jerry

NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:I've seen people use that grip tape on their frames... comes stock on some bikes. Keeps the paint on....
That's what I do. Wrap it around the frame in places where you'll contact. It gives you some grip, useful for kicking the rear end up on those supercross triples. :roll: It's also rough on your boots. After this set wears out, I don't think I'll use it again. My KX125 has frame guards and I think they cushion blows to the ankle a little bit.
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

No thanks on the grip tape. I don't get my boots for free. :grin:

Do you 1995 and newer guys not have some clear tape on the side of the frame?? I have the "how to assemble it from out of the crate" manual, and it shows that tape.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Not mine....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Have you ever seen that tape on an H model?? It was just a diagram, so I was/am assuming it to be clear tape.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I believe so... Did you check on buykawasaki.com?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
Jason wrote:Have you ever seen that tape on an H model?? It was just a diagram, so I was/am assuming it to be clear tape.
No clear tape on my '03. I envy you guys and your seemingly endless free time to worry about paint wear. :partyman: I'd be happy just to have the time to ride. :cry:

Sorry, momentary lapse into self pity...I'm sure I'll feel better when I get the new carb and my head back. :mrgreen:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC