Found a machine shop in CT. anyone know his work

Got questions? We got answers....
xlsbronco

Post by xlsbronco »

A friend has sent a rm125 crank out last Thursday September 26, now we wait :pop:
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

For your own information, I would suggest you check the runout of the rebuilt crank yourself.

The procedure is described on pages 7-11 and 12 of the KDX 200 series H manual. Most all motorcycle service manuals will also have this info. The standard KDX 200 crank shaft runout is 0.03 mm (0.0012") or less. The manual suggests supporting the shafts on V blocks, which you can make from wood if you need to.

Personally I prefer to support the crank assembly between centers. You can rig this up with some pointed screws and angle irons. PM me for more info if you need some.

To actually check the runout, mag base dial indicators are quite cheap, and are a good thing to have in your took kit.
xlsbronco

Post by xlsbronco »

The crank has been received and is awaiting assembly everything looks good so far
xlsbronco

Post by xlsbronco »

Thank you Pumpguy for your input I have a video of the guys procedure and it seems legit but i agree in double checking another guys work I should make a few call to some buddies and use their equipment to check it here is a link to this guys videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INFe6hXWojg
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

When I clicked on your link, I got a "This address wasn't understood" message. Could you check to see if it is correct?
xlsbronco

Re: Found a machine shop in CT. anyone know his work

Post by xlsbronco »

try this link
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Very impressive!

I've rebuilt a few cranks over the years, and have always had to do the final alignment by bumping and wedge or squeeze as described in the Kaw manual and most other motorcycle service manuals. I wish he showed how he cut the crank pin during dis-assembly. The pin shown in the video looks like it was broken, not cut.

On one crank I did, when I went to do the final alignment, I found the pin bores were no longer aligned with the shafts. I had always assumed this was from stresses in the wheel forgings that became relieved over time causing the misalignment. Now I'm wondering if maybe it was from pressing out the old pin.

From what I see, this guy knows what he's doing.
xlsbronco

Re: Found a machine shop in CT. anyone know his work

Post by xlsbronco »

Thank you for your opinion I was impressed but I am not a machinist, lol I do however respect and understand the level of precision involved in this procedure. you can never be so sure of the quality until you have done the same job that is being questioned. his pricing seems very fair I think 160 for rebuilt crank with his bearings and rod is a steal compared to
buying new and best of all i can drive there if i had two its about two hours from me