Taping up the frame.

Got questions? We got answers....
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Taping up the frame.

Post by Ryan »

well, i have spent the last 45 minutes taping up my frame to get ready for touch up painting. Is it worth it? Well i doubt it but im sure my frame will look like new. I am only about 1/8 of the way done and have used a half a role of painters tape. I am taping everywere expect the spots were im gona use some pj1 touch up paint. I hope this stuff works good. well i will keep you all posted.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I have used it in the past and am about to use it again. I think it works well, especially for the price.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

does it chip easily cause thats what im tring to avoid, i mean paint at my local hardware store is about $6 a can and it just chips and chips. Will this stuff do the same, and are you gonna paint your whole frame??
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

It won't chip but it is soft paint that will wear off at rub points very easy. Also, any solvent will take it off in a hurry. Things like carb cleaner or brake cleaner especially. In fact, brake cleaner is a great way to get overspray off things that got dusted accidently by the spray.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

When I used it, I sprayed it on top of the original paint to do touch up work. I am going to do that again, plus use the clear coat this time. I had it stripped to the frame before, and I have done the same this time. I am going to use some primer on areas where the paint is rubbed or chipped down to the frame. Such areas will get a little bit of sanding with sandpaper. In painting, surface preparation is very important.

I can't say that I remember it chipping much, though I haven't really checked. If you want a better finish, you can get it powder coated. That is around $250. For $6, the PJ1 is definitely worth a shot. If you don't like it, you are only out $6 plus some time.

skipro3, what are you doing spraying your bike with carb or brake cleaner??
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

ya i paid $27, for grey primer, kawasaki green, and clear coat. Including shipping. I hope it comes out great. CAuse it definatly is cheaper than painting the whole frame.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Good luck with your painting.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I use a dab of carb or brake cleaner on a rag to remove adhesives around my plastics, and overspray from using PJ1. I also use it to clean my carb externals, carb hoses and my brake rotors and pads every time I wash the bike. Good on spooge splatter too. Better living through chemistry, I always say.

Haven't you looked at my photos? I keep my bikes very clean. I get them dirty enough, I just like a clean bike to work on. Can't stand to work on a dirty bike. Dirty, Dirty, bike.

The hardest part about riding is that first mud puddle. After that, I'm like a pig in a wallow.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

What do you mean by "adhesives around my plastics" and "overspary from using PJ1"?

Yes, I have seen your bikes. In my mind, getting a bike clean does not equal spraying carb or brake cleaner directly onto something, including the frame, so that may be where I was not making the connection. I usually spray the cleaning implement (rag, toothbrush, etc.), then clean the item.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

What do I mean? I mean stickers and decals leave a sticky residue as the vinyl shrinks from age. That attracts dirt. So, like I said, I use a rag to clean that off. I also, like I said, use a rag to clean overspray off of PJ1. PJ1 is the spraypaint I use to touchup the frame.
The only parts I spray directly with carb or brake cleaner are the carb and brake. I use it to flush the dirt and grime from the nooks and crannys that a rag or brush can't reach.
Sometimes flushing isn't enough and a toothbrush is needed. But even then, I flush to wash away the scrubbed debris.
Jerry

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know which of the many PJ1 products you meant.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I've never noticed the Epoxy paint being affected by carb spray or brake cleaner. I get overspray all the time and my frame still looks new..... That was 2 years ago..... :razz:

P.S... my bike is just as clean as Ski's! :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

That reminds me. I have a spare '87 frame that I used to test some different cans of PJ1 silver/gray shades. I could do some testing to see how it stands up to a few chemicals.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That'd be great! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I first realized I had a bit of overspray from where I painted my KX steering stem area where I took a torch to it and mounted a Scotts dampener arm. I had a shop rag a put some brake cleaner on and was wiping down the side of the cylinder to install some thermometer stickers. The rag came up with green on it. So I tried it on a painted area around the upper steering stem and yup, it took the paint off pretty easy. I didn't try and see if gasoline will remove it though. After that, I kept using the rag with brake cleaner on it for all sorts of things; like the outer cover of the throttle cable, the brake lines, fork legs, etc. It gets rid of crud you didn't realize was there and evaporates to a nice, no residue finish. Careful on plastics though, it will dull a finish pretty fast as it sort of disolves it a bit.
Jerry

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I have overspray on my pipe... it will not come off with carb cleaner or brake cleaner. I am going to try steel wool.... that should clean it up. Epoxy paint takes a long time to set up, but once it does... it's hard as nails!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

well thats a good thing then that it is as hard as a rock cause im putting it were boot rub occors and a few other spots like under my seat and whatnot.
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

well, i just started to prime my frame and it is looking pretty good. I will try to take some pictures for you guys so you can see how it turns out.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Good luck with it. I am hoping to paint mine tomorrow (too much going on today).
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

are you just gonna paint or are you gonna paint and prime? o ya and clear coat??