Taping up the frame.

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

So far, I have sanded rough areas and nicks. I am going to spray primer on the areas that go down to bare metal. I am not going to do just the bad spots. I am going to put a few light coats on the whole frame, so I am going to lightly sand the whole frame before getting started. I am going to use clear coat also.

I am setting up a home made paint booth in a corner of the garage. Here's a picture of me testing it out. I have a box fan with a home furnace filter duct taped to it. Maybe it will cut down on the paint from floating around too much.

Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

wow that looks like my frame kinda. Cept mine has got 3 or 4 coats of primer on the spots im gonna paint. I think it is gonna come out pretty nice. MAn i wish i had a digital. WEll now all i have to do is wait untill tommorow and then green goes on!@!@@!!!.
Last edited by Ryan on 03:15 pm Oct 09 2005, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

good idea with the fan, i had to use a heater im my workshop to bump up the temp like 5 degrees. Now it is like 75 in there, and boy that room smells like paint. Good thing i got a mask, as a matter of fact my whole baesment smells like paint.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I am hoping my paint booth design keeps the paint from floating out. I am going to overlap and tape up the sides. I have a thin sheet of plastic for the floor, too. If it can float up and hit the ceiling, then let it be green. :mrgreen:
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Just a thought. what about using a Wagner Power Spray Gun w/Automobile Paint(thinned a Bit) and then apply a clear coat??
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

i also thought about this but it would cost me more to get the car paint, so i just used this stuff. I just put the first coat of green on and suprisingly it looks like it will turn out very good. I figure that i will put about 3 coats on or untill i run out of paint. Then tommorow the clear coat goes on.
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

wow im am really surprised how spray paint looks so much like the paint already on my frame.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Told ya man!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I have never used a Wagner Power Painter, so I am not sure on how well that would work. For $7.50 MSRP per spray can, the PJ1 paint is cheap enough to use and if not liked, then go with something else. The color match was perfect to me.
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

They wok well. Just mentioned its use so you could use a paint that would hold up better and prevent sooner frame painting
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

well, i learned one lesson while doing this whole thing, next year i am gonna paint the whole frame nit just like half, the paint looks so good it makes the parts i did not paint look old and worn.
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

I went with grip tape on the frame rails where boots rub paint off. The cutie at the skate shop gave it me for free. I think that little girl was hitting on me :supz: :lol:

Works great, last quite a long time and I get a bit more traction with my legs to boot. Oh yeah and it's looks all factory trick as well LOL
03 220R