220 on the dunes

Got questions? We got answers....
jeeptech1

220 on the dunes

Post by jeeptech1 »

being as I live an hour from some awesome dunes I would like to try my hand at it on my 220. I use to have fourwheelers and road quite often over there with them, but since ive changed to dirt bikes I have not ridden on the dunes. My bike has 607 reeds, fmf torque pipe and turbine core 2 silencer, no air box lid, and 13/47 gearing. I run 42 and 142 for jets currently. anyone ridden their 220 on the dunes? Im thinking ill have to go richer on the main jet but not sure how much. I was planning on running an 8 paddle rear tire. I reeeeeaaaaaalllyyy don't want to blow my bike up so any comments are appreciated thanks.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 220 on the dunes

Post by bufftester »

Gearing I'd start at stock, may find 14/47 or 13/45 will work better in the dunes where you'll spend a lot more time up in the powerband. I would seriously consider making a new foam airbox lid, and sealing every gap in your airbox, rear fender area. Sand gets in everything and will eat a motor up quick. Then jet it for those mods and you should be great. As a kid we used to camp a lot down at Florence, but back then we were running rails and modded snowmobiles.
jeeptech1

220 on the dunes

Post by jeeptech1 »

Ok, ride report time! It was fun! I ended up putting a 148 main in the carb and was glad I did. I also used landscaping fabric attached to the airbox cover(which has a bunch of big holes in it). That was my only mods, that and a 8 paddle rear. Was able to do everything but the biggest steepest dune out at Florence. Carved some bowls, jumped some razorbacks, road the beach, tried some trails. End result, not kdx territory but it still performed very well(even drag raced a pair of 450 quads and won by a couple bike lengths!). Need more power! I felt bad for my bike, I was on the pipe so long that I actually blew out all the stored carbon in the pipe! Jetting was perfect and never overheated it. Trails in deep sand suck! Overall it was fun but I will not put the dx through it again.