kickstand mod project

Got questions? We got answers....
jeeptech1

kickstand mod project

Post by jeeptech1 »

Long story short, I was tired of the stock stand getting me stuck in ruts, whacking boulders, and generally looking hideous. The moded trail tech stand looked weak and hung too low. I like the stand its self just not the location. So I built a new bracket and utilized the stock stand. Not finished yet but here's the 1/2 way point. the stand tucks up next to the rear number plate when up. I'll post more pics as I finish it this weekend.

chkdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: kickstand mod project

Post by chkdx »

Watching this with interest. Looks great so far! :grin:
ukkdx200

kickstand mod project

Post by ukkdx200 »

Brilliant idea looking forward to the finished article
JoKDX220r
Gold Member
Gold Member

kickstand mod project

Post by JoKDX220r »

What I found after using the trail tech kick stand for 2 seasons is that the lower chain roller bracket is too weak to be use for a stand... Mine broke twice.. Mabey is the trailtech bracket design putting too much stress on that point..
Good luck with your project !!
jeeptech1

kickstand mod project

Post by jeeptech1 »

The lower chain roller hole is definitely weak. It's my only concern. I'm trying to mitigate the stress load by using thick, flat, steel plate and using 3/8" bolts that actually fill in the hole for the roller and subframe hole. Testing so far shows it to be super solid (ie me standing on it and moving around). The nice thing is that I don't have to modify the stock stand, it just bolts on! So if I ever wanted I could just dig up the old bracket and return the bike to stock. I'll hopefully have it all done today.
jeeptech1

kickstand mod project

Post by jeeptech1 »

Ok. I got most of it done. I've gotta take it to work tomorrow to weld on a side gusset (like the factory bracket) and try to find a different spring (not as much tension as I'd like). but other than that it seems stout. My works connection frame braces will fit right over it too! Here's some pics.

KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

great idea! any concern about safety issues when standing on the peg riding or if in a event of a crash.
A true KDX customizer!!
chkdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by chkdx »

I'm thinking this is a great idea for hybrid builders, as well.
jeeptech1

kickstand mod project

Post by jeeptech1 »

No safety issues that I can find. I'm gonna find a different spring the one I got is a little weak. I'm also going to get a rubber strap to hang from the subframe to put the kickstand in so it can't come down (like a ktm has). It's pretty solid. I've put all my 180 lbs on the stand and wiggled around and it seems strong. Time will tell on how well it lasts but I like it a lot and it's made from 1/4" thick plate so it should be durable.
sir phily

Post by sir phily »

Hi guys
Mine is a Australian 1997 model it comes with the lug already on the frame for the stand not on the swing arm at all.

Cheers Phil

pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

kickstand mod project

Post by pumpguy »

When you're finished with a design to your satisfaction, would you mind posting a dimension drawing showing hole locations, material thickness, angle bends etc.?
jeeptech1

kickstand mod project

Post by jeeptech1 »

Ok, bracket is finished. I'm gonna figure a different spring set up but the bracket and kickstand is awesome! Heres some pics. I'll update on the spring issue when I figure it out (soon hopefully) and specs. I really just eye balled the whole thing. It's made from a 2"x6" piece of 1/4" thick steel. Anyway here's pics.

Back of bracket:

Front of bracket:

pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

kickstand mod project

Post by pumpguy »

Nice! Who's frame guard is that? I like that too.
jeeptech1

kickstand mod project

Post by jeeptech1 »

thanks! they are made by works connection. or were, not sure if they make them anymore.
2 Wheels
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

kickstand mod project

Post by 2 Wheels »

Total newb reply here, but I just had to restore a kickstand mount bolt. One must have wiggled loose. I noticed it when I got back home and tried to put the kickstand down and the whole bracket just spun around on the single bolt.
Anyways, newb comment: plug those old holes up. If I remember correctly, when I looked into those holes, they just bore into the hollow swingarm.
Don't want dirt or water accumulating inside there.
Your new rig looks great!
1996 KDX 200
jeeptech1

kickstand mod project

Post by jeeptech1 »

Ok. Here's the finished product. Sorry for taking so long to post an update. Took it out riding and it works awesome!

rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

kickstand mod project

Post by rbates9 »

The spring doesn't look to be participating much. :hmm:
jeeptech1

Post by jeeptech1 »

It is working. It doesn't pull the stand completely tight against the bracket due to me cutting the bracket to far back, the stand sits where you see it without the strap. I don't think the stand would drop down on a jump like the old stocker would. I'm going riding tomorrow so ill test it. I like it so much better than the swing arm mount. It kinda updates the look of the bike too!
gwynfryn

Post by gwynfryn »

I stand on the ball of my feet as much as possible, from here it looks like the stand will interfere with your boot. Can you post a picture from the rear?
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

jeeptech1 wrote:It is working. It doesn't pull the stand completely tight against the bracket due to me cutting the bracket to far back, the stand sits where you see it without the strap. I don't think the stand would drop down on a jump like the old stocker would. I'm going riding tomorrow so ill test it. I like it so much better than the swing arm mount. It kinda updates the look of the bike too!
I presume rBates is noting that it's not hooked up at all in the latest picture :yawinkle: