Milk in my carb

Got questions? We got answers....
zepplin153

Milk in my carb

Post by zepplin153 »

I have discovered sometimes when I open my carb to make adjustments there is a milky like greasy layer/film inside the intake side that I think effects performance. After I clean it it seems to clean up throttle range.

1) What is it?
2) Can I make it go away?
'98 KDX 200 (KLX300 Forks)
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Re: Milk in my carb

Post by KDXohio »

Sounds like you're airfilter may be oiled to heavily I'd pull the filter clean it and re-oil it and see if the problem goes away. It doesn't take much oil
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Milk in my carb

Post by Actionman »

I'm getting the same film on my slide. I thought it was my filter oil, but even without a filter it still gets it. I'm assuming it is from the gas and oil and the high pressure in the carb venturi causing the oil to froth and coat the slide. I bet it also has water droplets in it as well, right? I'd say its normal cause it doesn't seem to hurt my bike. I also noticed the same film on my rm 80 and 125 as well, and neither has an air filter in them ( I start them daily in my storage bldg to keep them lubed). It seems to get coated more the better my bike is jetted, oddly enough.
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Milk in my carb

Post by Actionman »

Is this it? Image
2002 KDX 200
kdx633
Supporting Member

Post by kdx633 »

Water absorbed by ethanol and mixing with the oil.The crap terrorizes the inside of your float bowl as well.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Definitely got some water in there. Either through the filter or through the fuel.
cornishwrecker220

Milk in my carb

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

I had noticed a little `milky` residue on my slide when adjusting my needle clip along with a few drops of water in & around the inner slide ( where the needle sits )..on inspection I noticed that my throttle rubber cover above the top of the carb top was torn which would let water in when washing the bike & probably when I ride through any water..since replacing this I haven't had any milky stuff on my slide....worth checking .
zepplin153

Milk in my carb

Post by zepplin153 »

Actionman wrote:Is this it? Image

....Yes
'98 KDX 200 (KLX300 Forks)