Tire Pressure

Got questions? We got answers....
JuicyJay

Tire Pressure

Post by JuicyJay »

Hi all

Just a quick question , when it comes to tire pressure for different terains , what should the pressure be in my tires for each condition?? :hmm:

Comments appreciated
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Tire Pressure

Post by diymirage »

depends on several things, mostly the tire your running because some tires handle lower pressure better then others
but as a rule of thumb, the harder the soil, the harder the pressure and vice versa

(EDIT) I had that written down wrong, when the soil is hard, rocks and roots and what not you want a higher pressure to keep from puncturing the tube
when the soil is soft, mud or loose sand, you want a lower tire pressure so the tire can flatten out a bit and have a bigger footprint resulting in better grip
Last edited by diymirage on 02:50 pm Aug 22 2013, edited 1 time in total.
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
cornishwrecker220

Tire Pressure

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

depending on your weight & the type of tyres you run & the terrain you ride it varies to be honest...I like to run 12 psi in the front & 12-15 in the rear as I don't like to suffer punctures! if you use heavy duty inner tubes then you could possibly run lower pressures..again it all depends on the above.
JuicyJay

Tire Pressure

Post by JuicyJay »

yeah i guess im just so used to riding onroad bikes with hard tires , ill have a look at what tires im running , sure its maxxis tires but will double check , i also am running heavy duty inners.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I run 12 in the front, and 6 - 8lb in a trials tire out back.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I run 8-9 front and rear on S-12's. Any more than that and it feels "skaty", less it feels too wallowy. I do use the heavy tubes. I like to see about an 1/8" of shiny rim right at the bead.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Tire Pressure

Post by SS109 »

Too many variables to suggest a tire pressure for you. Variables are your terrain, your tires, your tubes (or lack of), your riding style, and the weight of rider and bike. Pick a safe pressure, say 15 psi, and raise/lower it in 1/2 psi increments until you get a negative effect on handling or traction and then bump it back a 1/2 psi. Due this individually for each tire. For the record, the optimum tire pressure will change from ride to ride and even during your ride. Find a good compromise and run it!

This time of year I tend to run 7-8 in the front and around 5 in the rear. The Tubliss is awesome for getting those trals tire like pressures and traction! :mrgreen: I tend to bump pressures up some when the dirt has more moisture in it.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Tire Pressure

Post by rbates9 »

SS109 wrote:Too many variables to suggest a tire pressure for you. Variables are your terrain, your tires, your tubes (or lack of), your riding style, and the weight of rider and bike. Pick a safe pressure, say 15 psi, and raise/lower it in 1/2 psi increments until you get a negative effect on handling or traction and then bump it back a 1/2 psi. Due this individually for each tire. For the record, the optimum tire pressure will change from ride to ride and even during your ride. Find a good compromise and run it!
+1
It is something that you need to figure out for your situation.
JuicyJay

Post by JuicyJay »

ok awesome , yeah i basically ride dry loose sandy terrain or wet and muddy , im pretty lite at 82kg's(180lbs) but yeah ill play around with the pressure and see what feels right for me , just so weird riding with flatish tires

Shot for the info guys :supz:
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I'm 180 geared up.....dry(er) rocky (small river rock type) terrain I tend to run around 16/14. Wet and muddy I ride 12/10. In the NW dessert, dry, hard and BIG rocks, I run 18/16....that being said, these pressures change every time I change my tire brand/type. The side walls on mine are so tough I can drop down as low as 6 psi (which I will do if the riding gets real slick) and still have lots of traction and stability. Doing a 50 mile single track a couple weekends ago, I found clay mud and black slime. I dropped my pressure down to 9/8 just to stay on the trail and corner. If riding new terrain and I know the general type of dirt, I will try a higher pressure than I think I need, if it works well, I leave it, if I have traction problems I can drop pressure while riding. It's much easier than trying to air-up while on the trail.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type