KIPS Rattle

Got questions? We got answers....
JuicyJay

KIPS Rattle

Post by JuicyJay »

Hi everyone

Im new to the forum and still making my way around

Question about my KDX , What exactly is the KIPS Rattle?
Searched abit online and havent found what exactly im looking for

Comments would be appreciated :?
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: KIPS Rattle

Post by dfeckel »

It's a rattling noise that our lovely KIPS equipped KDXs make at idle. I'm not exactly sure which component of the KIPS is the culprit, but my best bet would be the toothed rod. On E-series bikes, the rod is quite long, and on H bikes, there are two shorter rods. In my experience, my E-motored hybrid had a much louder rattle than the H motor I have now.
David Eckel
Thrahl

Post by Thrahl »

Well many people say that if you overfill the gearbox oil (putting a full quart rather than 750ml) the rattle decreases so it might have something to do with the governor or the rod that connects the top to the bottom.
My E series sounds like a diesel regardless of the amount of oil so I just deal with it :cool:
JuicyJay

Post by JuicyJay »

hahahaha yeah my kdx sounds like a tractor , but ay what a wonderful sound , im from south africa and didnt recieve an owners manuel or servicing manuel , is there anyway i could get my hands on 1?
another thing how do i know if its an E series or H series? :hmm:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Someone once told me that a healthy KDX sounds like a diesel on crack. I couldn't agree more. I think the primary culprit for the KIPS rattle is a combination of the main valve and the governor.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

E series is 89-94
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

JuicyJay wrote:hahahaha yeah my kdx sounds like a tractor , but ay what a wonderful sound , im from south africa and didnt recieve an owners manuel or servicing manuel , is there anyway i could get my hands on 1?
another thing how do i know if its an E series or H series? :hmm:
In the US the E was 89-94 and the H was 95-06. Different countrys had a little bit different release dates. You can look at some pictures in the member's bikes section and see what looks like what you have.

Another way to tell is the H's are faster. :lol:
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

KIPS Rattle

Post by dfeckel »

I might have to disagree on which bike is faster. My E motor, when it had functioning sub valves, had a bit more power than the H I just put in my hybrid. Same pipe, carb, RB mods, and an RB modded head, just like the E. The E had a bit more low end grunt, and seemed to hit a bit harder when it came on the pipe. Of course, those damned sub valves were only lasting 25-30 hours for me, so it was a no-brainer to switch to the H. Now I have a nice piece of E series KDX shelf art to look at in the garage.
David Eckel
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

KIPS Rattle

Post by rbates9 »

Probably the easiest visual clue if the H's radiator shrouds go all the way to the seat and the E's mount toward the front of the tank and the rear half of the tank is showing.
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

KIPS Rattle

Post by Gotanubike »

Little somethin I just whipped up.

H vs E

1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
JuicyJay

KIPS Rattle

Post by JuicyJay »

Very helpful guys , thanx i appreciate it