what parts off a kx250 should I use?

Got questions? We got answers....
stipud

Post by stipud »

So I bought an 02 kx250 with a blown motor so I could steal the forks and resell the leftovers but now I'm wondering if I should be using some of the other parts if maybe they are better than my 02 kdx200 parts?
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance...cool site by the way...
it's not that im stipud, i just can't spell!
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Re: what parts off a kx250 should I use?

Post by KDXohio »

You could Put the kdx motor in the Kx chassis
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
stipud

Post by stipud »

I thought about that but read that the pipe and inlet don't match up too well....plus I quite like having a decent amount of fuel when I venture off...
stipud

Post by stipud »

And what benifits are there really with swapping the motor out?...just the front forks and 5kg lighter is what I'm thinking but prove me wrong...
Thrahl

Post by Thrahl »

You might be able to swap the front and rear fenders as well as the number plate if you are looking for a more aggressive mx look.
I've also read about guys swapping over the kickstarter but I can't remember why.
Aside from that just steal any little bits that your bike might be missing like rotor/caliper guards, case saver, rubber pipe mounts, etc.
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

Thrahl wrote: I've also read about guys swapping over the kickstarter but I can't remember why.
People swap KDX kickstarters to KX ones because over time and through vibration, the longer and heavier kdx one can wear out the boss/lever so that it gets rattly, saggy, and generally awkward to fold in. But as I recall, it's not a direct swap and requires mixing and matching of various levers and bosses.
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

I run the kx shorty kicker on my 220 & its a good aftermarket mod....if you stall on a steep hill or you are off camber even if the ground is deep rutted & your foot is lower in the ditch than your wheels.. you will soon understand why the `shorty` kickstart is better than the loooooong original ! :grin:
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

cornishwrecker220 wrote:I run the kx shorty kicker on my 220 & its a good aftermarket mod....if you stall on a steep hill or you are off camber even if the ground is deep rutted & your foot is lower in the ditch than your wheels.. you will soon understand why the `shorty` kickstart is better than the loooooong original ! :grin:
What did it take to get it to fit?
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

I used the kickstart from a 1998 kx 125 mounted to the `boss` or knuckle of a 2001 kx 250, you will need to make or find a washer/bush to fit onto the kickstart shaft to take up the slack when you bolt the kicker down.....there`s a thread on here somewhere with pics on how to do the above.
rsr02
Supporting Member

Post by rsr02 »

I put the entire kx250 kicker on my 220, I have an aftermarket pipe and have no fitment issues.
1997 220, KLX forks-pipe-reeds-trials tire
stipud

Post by stipud »

Sounds like a good plan....my kickstarter is getting a bit floppy...don't tell the ladies.