cooked the top end, now what ?

Got questions? We got answers....
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

hey guys

went for a good ride today (will try to upload videos later) and the bike ran strong all day long
at one point I noticed there was a ticking noise to the engine, almost like piston slap
when I stopped for a second the bike would not rev down and smelled weird

as I headed back to the parking lot the ticking started to sound more like knocking (specially in low RPM) and power was way down
at about a mile from the parking lot I had to stop to cross a road and there she died
I tried kicking her over but compression was non existent

that was the end of the ride for me
I hauled the bike back home and started tearing into her
as soon as I removed the pipe I noticed the problem, the lower radiator hose had come loose and so I basically ran her in AC...not good
I tore the jug off and this is what I found

so im guessing the piston is pretty well shot but what about the cylinder ?
can I hone it and be good ?
(its already bored 3 MM over and that's about the max so boring and replating it isn't an option

should I worry about the head ?
does it warp like car heads that overheat?
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: cooked the top end, now what ?

Post by Julien D »

Replating does not require boring. Can't tell from pics, are you running a sleeve? If so, hone it. If not, scrub it down with scotchbrite and have a closer look. Doesn't look damaged to me from what I can see here.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

that sounds promising

no sleeve, just stock material

I guess if it isn't too gouged up a replate wouldn't require a bore, but when I got it was wore down so bad it had to be bored over 3 MM

I don't "feel" anything in there so it doenst look like the bore is too bad
the lack of compression tell me something isn't right though...piston ?

KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

you can use a ball hone on it lightly
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

is that something that autozone lends out or should I take it to a shop to have that done ?

royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

When the rings get stuck in the piston they can no longer seal against the cylinder. Clean up the cylinder real good if there is any small bits of aluminum left behind you will stick it again in short order. The plating is pretty tough I think the cylinder will be fine.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

I would not use a ball hone on it. If you read up on it it will cause your rings to wear out faster. If it needs it its best to have it done with a diamond hone, that's what there done with when you get them replayed. I would use scotchbrite and soap. If there is small bits of aluminum left use a little muratic acid on a qtip and disolve it.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

The ball hone is what's used to break the glaze and bring back the proper cross hatching without removing much material it won't make you're rings wear out faster if done correct correctly and a ball hone is what the pros use for ring changes. The hones you're referring to are used after replating to gain the correct piston clearance. You can't rent them have to buy one. A scotch brute pad and acid doesn't always bring back the proper cross hatching which is necessary for full ring seal for your highest possible compression
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Ball hones do come in different grits which after rereading your post may be more along the lines of what you were talking about
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

It does look like the rings might be stuck in the piston and that could be where the compression would have gone.

So, any thoughts on a little better pre ride inspection routine? :wink:
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Would be better to triple check fluids and hoses rather than find out the hard way
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

Clean your cylinder with a scotchbrite and soapy water then inspect the cylinder with your finger nail and look for groves if you find at least one you are in need of a replate or a sleeve. Good luck bro.
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

OUCH!! Sorry to see it!

Green Scotch-Brite pad and muriatic acid to get the aluminum off.

If it still looks like it was scraped too bad, maybe a replate will do.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

ill bust out the scotchbrite pad in the morning

thanks for all the advise guys

I checked the rings, they move freely in their grooves

Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Gotanubike »

I rode my 89 around the sand pits all day without water the first couple times...that was before I discovered the crack under the KIPS cover and had it welded.

I recall the overheating knock and fluctuating throttle at low rpm, as you described. Luckily I never had a seizure but it would not idle.. :roll:

My top end looked a lot like that, as in the plating wasn't exactly perfect with one somewhat considerable score line up the cylinder wall near the exhaust side. The piston looked like that too...the rings were fine and it is running great now that it is not inhaling antifreeze through the resonator chamber.

Can't really say considering you bored over but might have something to do with it...if you're going for a new piston, personally I'd have it replated back to stock if that's even possible and buy the OEM spec wiseco piston.
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Its likely the exhaust side of the rings are worn thinner than the intake
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Roadhazardguy »

I wouldn't use a ball hone on a two stroke because of all the ports in the cylinder, the three stone hone is a better choice.
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Either hone can catch the plating at the port openings and flake it off. A few things, crosshatch is really not necessary on plated bores. If the plating is worn thin or gouged, a hone would do you no good anyway. Best to stick with the scothbrite and clean any aluminum residue from the piston off with muriatic, as mentioned above. Not that you can't use a hone on a plated cylinder, I have, but it's more likely to hurt than help.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

thanks for all the advise guys

ill pick up a scotchbrite and some acid and hopefully the bore is still good
gotanewbike, the original bore was wore out so bad in order to get it round and true again it had to be bored over by 3 MM, no chance of returning to the stock bore short of sleeving it
did you reuse your old piston ?

the rings are free but there was no compression so I don't think im willing to try that anyway

I send the pictures to langcourt (they did the overbore and replate) to see what they think the best course of action is

for what it is worth, here are the last few minutes of it running

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by diymirage on 11:27 pm Aug 18 2013, edited 1 time in total.

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I really think your plating will be fine once you get it cleaned up. Pop in a new top end kit, and give it hell. Side note, if you go with the muriatic, apply sparingly and ONLY to the plating. It will eat away at the aluminum portions of the cylinder if you get any on there. Do not let it sit for long, flush with plenty of water, and you can neutralize it with a baking soda/water solution to be safe once it's clean.