Rear wheel question

Got questions? We got answers....
carts69
Supporting Member

Rear wheel question

Post by carts69 »

Recently had my 220 rear wheel laced with new spokes, having bolted it up I notice the rim is not dead centre, the rim is closer to the swinging arm on sprocket side,i have 55mm gap sprocket side & 63mm gap on other side is this normal or do I need to have it centred? Thanks
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Rear wheel question

Post by KDXGarage »

Are there any spoke threads showing? If so, is one side more than the other?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Their are no spoke threads showing on either side
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

are the spacers the same size on both sides? if not could they be switched?
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Yes the spacers are the same size, this was the first thing I tried! is this not normal then for the rear wheel to be slightly over to one side?
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Ok.... Can one of you guys do a quick measurement on your rim to swinging arm & see if there is a difference between the two sides, would like an answer before I put a new tyre onto it, bare rim at the moment?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Rear wheel question

Post by rbates9 »

I just measured mine and it is closer to the sprocket side (about 55mm) then the rotor side (about 60mm). That is measuring from the outer most edge of the rim to the inside of the swing arm with a tape measure with poor lighting on a dirt bike but it is closer to the sprocket side of the swing arm.

How does the rim line up to the mud flap? Mine looks to be about centered.
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Thanks rbates for the measurement, by the mud flap do you mean the shock guard? if so I do not have that bolted on yet, I just have the wheel with no tyre bolted in place, not sure about the brake disc or sprocket as I do not have these bolted on as yet either, but by the sounds of things this does now sound normal to be over one side more than the other, I will wait for any more feedback from other members before I put the tyre on the rim (just in case)? Thanks again rbates
cornishwrecker220

Rear wheel question

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

bit difficult to get an accurate measurement due to tyre-chain & rear brake pipe being in the way but I made mine to be roughly 65mm sprocket side & 68mm disc side..the tyre is in line with the rear shock mud guard...by the look of it the swingarm has more of a bend to it on the disc side which may explain the greater measurement on that side. The only way you will know for sure is to see what things look like once you have everything fitted back on to the bike, you could use a lazer measure ( the kind builders use ) & see how true things line up.....who laced your wheel carts??
carts69
Supporting Member

Rear wheel question

Post by carts69 »

Hi Cornish, I had both wheels done with SFX Wheels, anodised & rebuilt with stainless spokes, he did the front wheel wrong but I put that down to sending just the rim without the spokes, so no measurement could have been taken, the front wheel when I bolted it up was to one side! he corrected that for me & now looks fine!
The rear wheel was sent complete so he must of had the sense to take measurements from that.
By the way.... I have now popped the tyre on & bolted the wheel back on, it looks slightly over one side (sprocket side) but I think the best bet now is to get a disc fitted & get everything back together & check everything lines up.
carts69
Supporting Member

Rear wheel question

Post by carts69 »

cornishwrecker220

Rear wheel question

bike looks very nice carts...look forward to a pic when she`s all back together....what carb you running on the 220.?..the 35mm works well on the 220 ( i have a good spare 35mm from a 200 if your interested ..£ 70 inc p & p :grin: )
carts69
Supporting Member

Rear wheel question

Post by carts69 »

Cheers Cornish! nah im gonna stick with the stock carb for now! cheers for the offer though, I intend to put a set of decent reeds in the motor & settle for that! (well... for now) :hmm: barrel & piston also need sorting then im good to go.
cornishwrecker220

Rear wheel question

no worries bud...when you hoping to have the scoot all up & running...whats the green lanes like where you are? I`m off up to wales next week for a 3 day guided ride with `clive the guide` as advertised in TBM (trail bike mag) up to 200 miles per day !! :?
carts69
Supporting Member

Rear wheel question

Post by carts69 »

Hope to have it completed as soon as the pennies allow, before the end of year with a bit of luck? Regarding green lanes.. sounds cool where your off to, sure that will be a blast, that are a little thin on the ground around here we usually stick to the same place, few green lanes & a large wooded area for the ultimate blast! although half hour road ride to get there its worth a few hours fun. Always looking out for new places to go but never easy finding somewhere where we can get some peace for longer than 10 minutes.
cornishwrecker220

Rear wheel question

have you thought about joining the TRF ( trail riders fellowship) they have a dorset trf...regular rides, general chat also you can meet up with other area members for rides such as devon, wales, cornwall & the like & ride their areas with a group, a great way to spend a weekend! :grin: check-out the trf web.
carts69
Supporting Member

Rear wheel question

Post by carts69 »

Cornish... yeah sounds a good idea, sure my riding mate would be up for that also! as soon as the bike is back together I shall follow that one up & see what available & where :supz: cheers Cornish, by the way mate.... hows you bike going?
cornishwrecker220

Rear wheel question

bike is going well but will need a rebuild shortly as the old main bearings have been slowly wearing over the last 12 months!!...mind you the bike has done almost 7000 miles now & the only thing I have replaced was the piston (at 6000miles) , just shows just how tough these little bikes are..try that on a ktm!!..i try & get out atleast once a week with a few mates..even more while the evenings are still light ..am looking to fit the kx usd forks which I bought off john ( dude ) & rebuild the motor at the same time with some mild porting & head work...p.s go look at the vids of the trf on youtube that`ll give you some idea of the areas where they ride... I think to join is only around the £30 mark per year , deffo worth joining :grin:
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Rear wheel question

Post by dude541 »

hey martin,
got your message, sorry for the late reply! it was my birthday Friday, spent the weekend up brum! a little worse for wear still! :lol:
have you got it sorted?
best regards
john
carts69
Supporting Member

Rear wheel question

Post by carts69 »

Hey John.... Your back :boogie: sounds like you have been having fun, I swear that drink is for the younger generation :lol: Regarding my issues.... I won't know for sure if every thing is ok until I get more pieces back onto the bike, keeping me finger crossed every thing will line up & the bike will run in a straight line? update you in due course, just ordered a rear disc, chain & sprocket will follow shortly, then I suppose I will know?