$5 enduro computer install

Got questions? We got answers....
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I got around to installing the $5 "enduro" bike computer on my bike. It has speedo, odo, average speed, max speed, time, total time ridden, and tells average speed and distance-plus its waterproof!
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff5 ... mage-2.jpg
I mounted the pickup with contact cement on the caliper after cleaning it with a wire brush: http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff5 ... mage-6.jpg
The magnet is mounted with contact cement and a screw from the back
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff5 ... mage-5.jpg
The computer mounts to the bars with a double sided glue pad and long zip ties
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff5 ... mage-8.jpg
It works awesome, and is pretty accurate compared to the odo on my 4 wheeler. Cant beat it for $5!
2002 KDX 200
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Actionman wrote:I got around to installing the $5 "enduro" bike computer on my bike. It has speedo, odo, average speed, max speed, time, total time ridden, and tells average speed and distance-plus its waterproof!
I mounted the pickup with contact cement on the caliper after cleaning it with a wire brush: Image
The magnet is mounted with contact cement and a screw from the back
The computer mounts to the bars with a double sided glue pad and long zip ties
It works awesome, and is pretty accurate compared to the odo on my 4 wheeler. Cant beat it for $5!
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Could the pickup be mounted to read off one of the magnets that replace a rotor bolt? Or one of the magnets that mounts to the rotor?
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Re: $5 enduro computer install

Post by KDXohio »

I tried one of those once my magnet kept falling off
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

rbates9 wrote:Could the pickup be mounted to read off one of the magnets that replace a rotor bolt? Or one of the magnets that mounts to the rotor?
It could probably be mounted there. I just did a quick and dirty mount to see how it'd work.
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

KDXohio wrote:I tried one of those once my magnet kept falling off
I can see how that'd happen. The contact cement/screw seems to be pretty tight though.
2002 KDX 200
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I did this same thing for a few years until I got my Checkmate. You may see a premature fail with the magnet on the spoke and the pickup on the caliper. A better place is to mount the pickup on the front side of the caliper/fork close to the hub, and get a rare earth magnet and epoxy it inside the hub near the disc, that way both are a little better protected. Worked fine for me for years, and as you said...can't beat the price. The only reason I moved to the ICO unit was I needed the functionality for timekeeping (true enduro) events.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

bufftester wrote:I did this same thing for a few years until I got my Checkmate. You may see a premature fail with the magnet on the spoke and the pickup on the caliper. A better place is to mount the pickup on the front side of the caliper/fork close to the hub, and get a rare earth magnet and epoxy it inside the hub near the disc, that way both are a little better protected. Worked fine for me for years, and as you said...can't beat the price. The only reason I moved to the ICO unit was I needed the functionality for timekeeping (true enduro) events.
Yeah, after going out and studying mounting locations there are a lot better places to mount it where it's be safer and more permanent. I did a quick mount cause I wasn't sure it'd even work. The odo and speedo is amazingly as accurate as the odo/speedo on my rancher 420. There is a much, much nicer model for $12 on eBay ill order later with backlight and such and ill mount it better. It was wild to see how fast I was going on some sections of the trail. I saw 58mph on the highway before I backed off. Felt like 500mph to me lol.
2002 KDX 200
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

bufftester wrote:I did this same thing for a few years until I got my Checkmate. You may see a premature fail with the magnet on the spoke and the pickup on the caliper. A better place is to mount the pickup on the front side of the caliper/fork close to the hub, and get a rare earth magnet and epoxy it inside the hub near the disc, that way both are a little better protected. Worked fine for me for years, and as you said...can't beat the price. The only reason I moved to the ICO unit was I needed the functionality for timekeeping (true enduro) events.
Do you have any pics?
If there is a really good mounting spot, this might be stickied for later users. I know I'd be interested.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

So, can anyone tell us where we can get one of these gadgets? Brand name, model number, etc?
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

they sell them in the bicycle section at walmart though I believe they're more than 5$ less than 20$ though from memory
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

is it me or does this looks a lot like the vapors from trail tech?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I don't have pictures of my old one installed, but if you go to the trail tech website and look at the instructions for the KDX Vapor (75-500 kit I think) it shows how to do it, and was the guide I used.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

scheckaet wrote:

is it me or does this looks a lot like the vapors from trail tech?
Yep. The $12 I'm planning on getting is a nicer looking version of that one with a soft blue backlight. They are small in comparison to the trail tech though. I forgot to add that I added about a foot of wire to make it fit and at the top near the mount you need to leave a small loop of slack so that the wire doesn't break when the forks top out. Finding the circumference of your wheel is important as well but google has numerous calculators that'll help. Mine was 1069(I think) but the computer goes to 4999 so there's plenty of adjustability for every tire. I rode again today and I think it's the neatest thing ever. I hate digging out my phone to look at the time, plus the speedo/odo is fun to keep track of. It'll show a + or - plus a number of however faster or slower your going than your average speed or fastest speed whichever you choose. Just a fun little toy. There are some that have WAY more settings for about $20 so if anyone needs a little more serious timekeeping there's better models available on eBay.
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

KDXohio wrote:they sell them in the bicycle section at walmart though I believe they're more than 5$ less than 20$ though from memory
The ones I've seen at Walmart are nicer looking versions of the exact one I have. I'm buying a couple different versions on eBay to test which one is better.
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

pumpguy wrote:So, can anyone tell us where we can get one of these gadgets? Brand name, model number, etc?
Here's mine http://www.ebay.com/itm/161043923125?ss ... 1439.l2649 they have wireless models as well, but I wouldn't want to fool with one of those. Here's my next purchase http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-LED-Display ... 27d4bd6f5a this one has a back lite, a nicer display, and changes speed display In real time. My current one takes a couple seconds to change speed indication as you accelerate.
2002 KDX 200
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Actionman wrote:
KDXohio wrote:they sell them in the bicycle section at walmart though I believe they're more than 5$ less than 20$ though from memory
The ones I've seen at Walmart are nicer looking versions of the exact one I have. I'm buying a couple different versions on eBay to test which one is better.

If your buying a couple different ones for $5-$15 a piece then why not just get a trail tech or equivalent?
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

If a vapor is more than $10 it ain't going to happen lol. I'm not buying these cause I need a trail computer, I just like buying cheap gadgets on eBay. If I needed a nice one I'd buy a better one than this. Like I said, I really only needed a clock- the other stuff is just fun to play with. Plus I have 3 bikes, so i can mount the ones I don't want on them anyway for the heck of it. It's no fun if its made for it and fits without any mods, lol. Part of the fun is knowing how cheap it was :)
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Took my actual tomtom GPS with me to check accuracy of my cheapo, and it is exactly the same as the GPS speedo! Lol.
2002 KDX 200
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

WOW! This is great information. I'm sure glad I asked.