$5 enduro computer install

Got questions? We got answers....
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: $5 enduro computer install

Post by Actionman »

Last update! Lol. I did a run with my tomtom GPS for 6.0 miles exactly, and the odo on the cheapo computer is exactly the same! It's amazing to me that it matches do perfectly. Even the clock is correct almost to the second after I set it to my GPS this morning. This little gadget rules! If I hadn't immediately lost my instructions I could tell you everything it does lol. I noticed it has a timer function that starts when the wheel moves and stops when the wheel stops but I cant figure out the usefulness of that function. Well worth a fiver!
2002 KDX 200
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

thats a ride timer, to only count the actual time you're in motion
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Nice
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

If anyone needs to calculate the circumference of the front tire, here is a link to a calculator: http://www.csgnetwork.com/tiresizescalc.html It gives the circumference in inches; multiply the inches by 25.4 to get the value to type into the bike computer. For example, my Kdx had a 80/100/21 tire which came out to 85.762 inches. Multiplied by 25.4= 2178mm. Instead of rounding up I rounded down to compensate for tire squat when loaded. This 2178 was entered into the computer. It must've been alright because mine is GPS accurate.
2002 KDX 200
terminatr

Post by terminatr »

Yeah, I've tried one of those cheap Walmart computer. Not impressed. You get what you pay for.

The oem trip meter is 1000 times better imo.
2001 KDX220
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

when you do the USD conversion you loose the tripmeter.
Besides, it doesn't give you speed...
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

terminatr wrote:Yeah, I've tried one of those cheap Walmart computer. Not impressed. You get what you pay for.

While you are absolutely right about getting what we pay for. I popped mine open and was still impressed with the quality of the soldering and componentry. My experience has been positive all the way. I could've spent $100 on a nicer brand, but I personally needed about $5 worth of computer because time of day and speed is all I needed. These things are like hamsters: they're cheap enough that if they die you simply toss it in the trash and buy another one. Also, I wonder if the stock odometer is GPS accurate, because I can unequivocally say that this one is in both speed readout and odometer function; i have three days worth of riding with gps mounted as proof to my satisfaction. all For the obscenely steep price of $5. Lol.
2002 KDX 200
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Yeah but for 5$ I mean once you buy a little over 20 of them you could've got the trail tech. Haha :wink:
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

KDXohio wrote:Yeah but for 5$ I mean once you buy a little over 20 of them you could've got the trail tech. Haha :wink:
Dear god...you're right. How could I have been so careless with my money! :) Seriously though, I'm voting "worth every penny". Serious riders need serious equiptment though, so I don't think you'll be using this in the ISDE anytime soon.
2002 KDX 200
terminatr

Post by terminatr »

Actionman wrote:
terminatr wrote:Yeah, I've tried one of those cheap Walmart computer. Not impressed. You get what you pay for.

While you are absolutely right about getting what we pay for. I popped mine open and was still impressed with the quality of the soldering and componentry. My experience has been positive all the way. I could've spent $100 on a nicer brand, but I personally needed about $5 worth of computer because time of day and speed is all I needed. These things are like hamsters: they're cheap enough that if they die you simply toss it in the trash and buy another one. Also, I wonder if the stock odometer is GPS accurate, because I can unequivocally say that this one is in both speed readout and odometer function; i have three days worth of riding with gps mounted as proof to my satisfaction. all For the obscenely steep price of $5. Lol.
They're fine on bicycles or street bikes. But the sensor wouldn't last long on the trail. I'm just saying the OEM trip meter is more robust on the trail.

I didn't know you guys lose the trip meter when you do USD fork conversion. Because my KLX300 has USD forks, and it has an OEM trip meter.

I'm not a GPS guru, but I heard GPS is not accurate for trails. I guess it's because of tight twist and turns and elevation changes. GPS is not accurate for that.
2001 KDX220
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Problem with GPS on the trail is not elevation or trail layout, it does fine with both, the issue is when you get into deep canopy overhead you tend to lose lock which results in a corresponding increase in the FOM (figure of merit) and can give erroneous location data. Most of the newer GPS units (especially the ones designed for hiking/back country) work well in all but the very deepest forest. My Garmin only really has issues when I'm down in a narrow canyon where its view of the sky is limited, but I usually have better than 2 meter accuracy 98% of the time. All that said, the cheap units do fine for speed distance if you take a bit of care in installation. I do find that I never bother with speed or distance when trail riding unless it's an enduro race, then it's all about the distance and time.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Terminatr I was just needling you a little. You are right though in that this is just a cheap little gadget. As to the magnet, there are places on the hub that are much better mounting points. Like I said, its just a really, really cool little cheapo toy to play with. As to it being GPS accurate: I know its not real useful being that accurate, but its pretty impressive to me that it was. It makes a pretty reliable gauge for gas mileage if you go by miles traveled. You can even use the average mph setting to help cipher mileage as well as see how speed affects gas mileage, etc. I've had a ball messing with it.
2002 KDX 200