02 200 needle question!

Got questions? We got answers....
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

02 200 needle question!

Post by Actionman »

So my jetting is finally spot on and my Kdx runs like a mx bike(to me) , but I had to drop my needle to the top clip to get it lean enough in the mid range to stop a hint of bog. Is there another needle anyone uses to slightly lean these bikes out? I've heard of cel and del needles being used on these bikes; is one of those a better choice for my situation? I'm assuming the middle clip would be ideal, so would one of those needles get me back into the middle slot?
2002 KDX 200
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 02 200 needle question!

Post by Julien D »

Neither of those needles would work with your current jetting. You'd need to rejet, as they have a richer profile overall than the stock needle. Is yours the 1173 or 1174?
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Top clip seems too lean to me ...you are probably running a very large main jet for it to want to run on that clip setting & even then it wont run that good mid throttle.. 142-145 main is about right with the air box snorkel removed ( keep the lid on for the 220 )..mid clip or 2nd from the top on the OE 220 needle...if you want more mid pull then fit the 35mm carb off the 200 & run the 220s needle with a 152-155 main...you will never get a 220 to run on top like the 200 unless you do some porting & head work but fitting the 200 carb does wake the old 220 up a little & really pulls well when things get technical with no loss of bottom end power at all... :grin: I tried both the cel & del needles & countless hours of testing on both the 33 & 35mm carbs ...they don't work on the 220.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Julien D wrote:Neither of those needles would work with your current jetting. You'd need to rejet, as they have a richer profile overall than the stock needle. Is yours the 1173 or 1174?
Mine is stock needle, whichever that is. As to the main: I have a 158 in and when I tried the 155 it seemed too lean - at full throttle it would run flat but if I eased off a notch on the throttle it would pick up and run better.
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

cornishwrecker220 wrote:Top clip seems too lean to me ...you are probably running a very large main jet for it to want to run on that clip setting & even then it wont run that good mid throttle.. 142-145 main is about right with the air box snorkel removed ( keep the lid on for the 220 )..mid clip or 2nd from the top on the OE 220 needle...if you want more mid pull then fit the 35mm carb off the 200 & run the 220s needle with a 152-155 main...you will never get a 220 to run on top like the 200 unless you do some porting & head work but fitting the 200 carb does wake the old 220 up a little & really pulls well when things get technical with no loss of bottom end power at all... :grin: I tried both the cel & del needles & countless hours of testing on both the 33 & 35mm carbs ...they don't work on the 220.
I have a 200 (2002) and I run airbox lid and snorkel for sound purposes, and where I ride is continuously muddy cause it doesn't get much sunlight( pretty deep woods trail). Btw: would you recommend the 220 needle for my bike? What is the actual number of it if I need to get one?
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

As to the main jet: how lean is too lean? I've seen guys on forums at the same altitude and temp as me running 140 and up. That seems awful lean since mine didn't care for the 155. I also saw a guy on another forum in eastern ky at the same altitude running a 35 pilot! Isn't that too lean?
2002 KDX 200
cornishwrecker220

02 200 needle question!

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

My mistake I read your question wrong!... 02 200 needle..thought it said 220! ignore my post :oops: the 220 needle is half a clip richer so it may work in your 200 in the 2nd from top position.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Upgrades play into jetting too...upgraded reeds call for leaner jetting same with pipes. As long as you go through the jetting process that is on here you can't go wrong every bike is different even if its the same!
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

My clip ended up in the top position. I also went to a 155 main which oddly enough doesn't seem too lean since I got the rest of the jetting solved. I messed around with the airscrew today and got the last little bit of burble out of the throttle. I thought I might need the 38 pilot but I think I'm good. I can lug the throttle in any gear, slap open the throttle, and nearly wheelie it out. I went for a long ride today and actually had fun for the first time since getting the bike cause I wasn't choking on oily smoke or worrying about stalling out on a hill. I seem to be burning through a lot if gas, but I got my bicycle enduro computer installed today so ill check actual gas mileage tomorrow. Whew! I'm tired after typing that :)
2002 KDX 200