Where does the BK/Y wire connect near front of KDX 200/220?

Got questions? We got answers....
cstuckless

Post by cstuckless »

So I was trouble shooting a headlight problem tonight on my 2004 KDX 220, and in the process I found at least two issues. One, the main problem - the yellow wire coming off the switch was disconnected behind the light. The way the wiring was zip tied caused the plugs to disconnect. Easy fix!

The second problem I found was that the BK/Y wire from the regulator that runs up towards the forks was broken off. I can see it had a connector on the end, but it's sheared off and I can't see in under the tank / near the ignition coil well enough to determine where it broke off from. The wiring diagram shows the BK/Y wire coming off the regulator, connecting to ground (somewhere?) and then connecting on to the BK wire that goes to the CDI (providing I'm reading it correctly!).

Can anyone who's had their wiring disassembled tell me where the BK/Y wire connects towards the front of the bike in the stock config?

Also - the bonus question (lol!) - I've got a Maier rear fender so I'm not using any taillight on the rear of the bike. Do I need to do anything with the unused wires that go to the stock tailight? Or is it fine to just tape them off and stick the connectors under the seat out of the way??

Thanks in advance!

Colin
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Where does the BK/Y wire connect near front of KDX 200/2

Post by Postigo »

Maybe this photo can help you, about the rear light wiring you can use tape to protect the wires without problems.Image
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...
cstuckless

Post by cstuckless »

Postigo wrote:Maybe this photo can help you, about the rear light wiring you can use tape to protect the wires without problems.Image

Postigo - thanks for the pic! That shows me exactly what I can't see behind my tank without having to take it off.

But I'm still unsure where the Black/Yellow wire connects. I don't see a Black/Yellow in the pic unless I'm missing it?? I see two black wires but neither seems to have a yellow strip on it.

Colin
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The end of the Bk/Y wire up near the coil should have a round spade terminal on it theat mounts with the black wire from the headlights to the coil mount. In the pic above it is the wire that runs behind the blue one and attaches to the lower coil mount, just looks black and white in this pic. As for the rear light wires just tape them up and ziptie them out of the way
cstuckless

Post by cstuckless »

bufftester wrote:The end of the Bk/Y wire up near the coil should have a round spade terminal on it theat mounts with the black wire from the headlights to the coil mount. In the pic above it is the wire that runs behind the blue one and attaches to the lower coil mount, just looks black and white in this pic. As for the rear light wires just tape them up and ziptie them out of the way
I see it now. The way the lighting was in the pic I thought that wire was running out of the frame there - I see now that it bends back and attaches below the coil.

Postigo, Bufftester - thanks for the help. I'll have my wiring fixed up proper in no time now (provided I can get at that area and don't need to haul my tank off!).

Much appreciated guys.

Colin
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Easier to take the tank off and do it, just a couple bolts and the fuel line, 5 mins tops and then you won't have to fight anything to fix it all up.
cstuckless

Post by cstuckless »

bufftester wrote:Easier to take the tank off and do it, just a couple bolts and the fuel line, 5 mins tops and then you won't have to fight anything to fix it all up.
I don't disagree. But I haven't had the tank off yet, and it was full of fuel - I'm sure there are some tricks for clamping it off without making a mess. I was able to get a small wrench behind the tank to get the lower bolt off below the coil, and I put a new round connector on the BK/Y wire and was able to connect everything back up.

I put some new split loom on the wiring running back to the regulator while I was at it - all cleaned up and the headlight (Polisport Halo) is working great again now! I won't have to worry about getting home before dark anymore - woo! :)

Colin
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

The fuel shut off should keep the gas in the tank. When you remove the fuel line you can replace it with some clear line and then the next time you need to remove the tank you can shut the gas off and start the bike, let it run until the gas is out of the gas line and then you won't make any mess.